Yakima Valley Hops has hop rhizomes in stock

brandon obrien

Mar 17, 2022, 1:50:49 PM3/17/22
to Sangre de Cristo Craft Brewers
 I had mentioned it briefly last night that now is the time of year when hop rhizomes typically become available.  I just got an email from Yakima Valley Hops today announcing their rhizomes are available for order.

I've had great luck ordering standard hops from YVH in the past and wouldn't expect anything sub-par for their rhizomes either.

They currently have: Cascade, Cashmere, Centennial, Chinook, Comet, CTZ and Triumph.  They come in bundles of 3 and cost $10.

-Brandon

Carpenter, ScottX A

Mar 17, 2022, 2:01:43 PM3/17/22
to nms...@googlegroups.com

Great info Brandon!

Can I share this with the Dukes Of Ale club here in Albuquerque as well.

Scott Carpenter

brandon obrien

Mar 17, 2022, 4:34:55 PM3/17/22
to Sangre de Cristo Craft Brewers
Hey Scott, definitely share it with the Dukes!

I also put together a little guide for growing hops in NM. It contains some best practices and answers some FAQs about hop growing. The guide can be found on our club website: https://brewsantafe.com/growing-hops-in-nm/

-Brandon

James Andrews

Mar 17, 2022, 6:23:05 PM3/17/22
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Brandon:  send me your address and I'll send the $20.00 dues.  Don't know when I'll get back to Santa Fe. At 90 I don't know what tomorrow brings.  Still brewing twice a month.
Jim Andrews

brandon obrien

Mar 20, 2022, 7:45:31 PM3/20/22
to Sangre de Cristo Craft Brewers
Jim,

It's great to hear you're still brewing twice a month!  That's excellent and I'm sure your beers are still wonderful.  They're greatly missed during our meetings.

You can send the dues to:

Brandon OBrien
917 Placita Chaco
Santa Fe, NM 87505

I'll make sure they get to our treasurer and taken care of next month.  Thanks!

-Brandon

Warren Lail

Mar 20, 2022, 10:59:08 PM3/20/22
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Jim Andrews brews the best light lagers I’ve ever tasted. He’s an amazing man who keeps doing what he loves - brewing great beers.  Keep it up Jim. Hope to see you soon.

Warren

Sent from my iPhone

David Gunter

Mar 21, 2022, 9:19:36 AM3/21/22
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Yakima Valley is out of everything but Cascade at this point. Northern Brewer has opened up their pre-order for the spring 22 release.

This brings up a good question: What hops are people finding do well out here, given the general soil conditions? Or what are you doing to improve things?

-david
--
David Gunter
Santa Fe, New Mexico

brandon obrien

Mar 21, 2022, 9:31:12 AM3/21/22
to Sangre de Cristo Craft Brewers
Wow, I didn't realize they'd be out of their rhizomes so quickly.

I've found that your standard C-hops do very well out here.  I have a couple Cascade plants that thrive.  I just make sure to compost around the plant every year and make sure it gets watered.

This Alaska Fish Fertilizer  works really well for the hops too: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Alaska-1-Gal-Organic-Gardening-Liquid-Fish-Emulsion-Fertilizer-5-1-1-100099249/100211859  It can be hard to find in stock and smells pretty bad for a couple of days, but it works wonders.

-Brandon

Lorrey Muellenberg

Mar 21, 2022, 2:58:16 PM3/21/22
to Sangre de Cristo Craft Brewers
Since the neo-mexicanus hop is native and has been thriving around here for a million years or so, I have to believe that is should do OK in your hop garden also.  🧐

🍻 Lorrey

David Gunter

Mar 21, 2022, 3:00:56 PM3/21/22
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I haven't found a source for anyone selling rhizomes
for the neo-mexicanus.

John Rowley

Mar 21, 2022, 3:14:36 PM3/21/22
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Just go ask Ted to take you to the hop farm. He probably knows the code for the gate still. I bet they'd let you dig some rhizomes up for a beer.  Or reach out to Randall at Sherrog Hop Farms (email shown below).  I think the only commercial Neomexicanus being propagated on any large scale is Zappa, and that has really been dialed more towards west coast DIPA/dank beers.

Randall Friedman  = ran...@sherroghops.com

Cheers,
John