April 2023 Meeting Minutes

brandon obrien

Apr 21, 2023, 1:40:44 PM4/21/23
to Sangre de Cristo Craft Brewers

We had a nice meeting this month at Corey’s house (thanks Corey for hosting!). We had 10 club members in attendance with 21 beers to sample. In addition to the beers and some snacks, we also got to enjoy some pasta, eggplant parm, soft pretzels and bread. Thanks to everyone who contributed some food!

Some topics we covered at the meeting included:

Big Brew 2023 – Beer Creek is hosting Big Brew again this year on May 6th with the brewing area opening at 9am. We’ll have more details on this when Jami sends them over.

Elections – Brandon, Tom and Ken are keeping their respective positions (President, Treasurer, Secretary). Corey also stepped up to help with some of the organizing as the role of Vice President and Ben is going to work on promoting the club via social media (Instagram, Facebook, etc).

Apparel order – I checked with a local place in regards to our t-shirt orders but their minimums were too high for us to meet. I’ll have actual prices quoted from UPrinting.com in a separate email.

Meeting Location Issues – What I thought was going to be a one-time meeting location issue is turning into a larger problem. Santa Fe Brewing Co is going to start hosting a karaoke night every other Wednesday and, understandably, wants to use the party room to serve patrons. This is going to interfere with us being able to use the space. The option that seemed most liked during the meeting was to change the meeting to the 2nd Wednesday (assuming party room availability) on the months there is a 3rd Wednesday conflict. If anyone has other suggestions / connections for a meeting location, please let Brandon know so we can investigate it as an option (a few of us mentioned not minding hosting at our homes during the summer).

Internal Club Competition:

For June 2023 – Brew up a Belgian! Any beer that falls into BJCP 2021 categories 24 and 25 are fair game. This includes: 24A. Belgian Witbier, 24B. Belgian Pale Ale, 24C. Biere de Garde, 25A. Belgian Blonde Ale, 25B. Saison, 25C. Belgian Golden Strong

Custom Club AHA Renewal

I signed us up for the AHA referral program which gives our club a $5 kickback whenever someone joins or renews their membership through our custom link and enters SDCCB as the code. If you’ve let your membership lapse or haven’t signed up before, I’d encourage you to do so. You can find our custom URL here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/support-the-aha/?promo=Sangre-de-Cristo-Craft-Brewers (note: you will still need to enter SDCCB as the code when you’re at that point in the sign up process).

The full list of beers brought to the meeting were:

  • Ben: Tmavé Pivo (Czech dark lager), Time Heals All Wounds (Belgian golden aged in oak), Treehouse inspired IPA, Palatine Pils and River Black Lager by Suarez Family Brewing
  • Brandon O: Saison, Neomexicanus Pale Ale, Qualify Pilsner and Rapport Kolsch by Suarez Family Brewing
  • Corey T: Good ‘N Fresh by Alvarado Street, Pseudo Sue by Toppling Goliath, Duvel
  • Ed: Pale Ale
  • Eric H: White Chocolate Blonde Stout, Red Ale, Sour beer w/ Lemon and Rosemary by Hi-Wire Brewing
  • George: Dark Mild
  • Ken: 2021 Lost Moon by Pryes Brewing
  • Michael: Sour Amber w/ Cherry by Jolly Pumpkin
  • David R: Pear Cider
  • Tom: Foreign Honey Porter

(Note: commercial beers are italicized)

-Brandon