Housewarming with homebrew!

Kevin Wohlmut

Aug 27, 2022, 1:22:58 PM8/27/22
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Howdy everyone!  A few people at the last meeting heard about this already, but one week from today, I will be throwing a much-delayed housewarming party at my house which is near the Pacheco Street Post Office up on that little hill.

I will be serving two batches of homebrew ale (and a few odd bottles of mead I still have lying around), so I thought the club might be interested.

At the last meeting you tasted my "Green Goblet Gruitt," which was based on a recipe that appeared in Zymurgy about two years ago.  I still have about 30 bottles of that left.  Instead of any hops, that batch used certain other herbs for bitterness (which is the definition of Gruitt as far as I know), "Sweet Gale" and "Marsh Rosemary" a.k.a. Labrador Tea.  Which gives it a bit of an earthy, green flavor, but the people at the meeting seemed to like it.  It came out a bit heavier than I planned at about 10.75% ABV.  But it's smooth.
I will debut a fresh batch of my infamous "Ass-Kicken' Sage" at the party.  It is still bottle conditioning right now, but the calculations indicate next Saturday it _should_ be good enough to open and serve for the first time.  All indications look good.  Fingers crossed!  This batch used a minimal amount of hops (about 2 ounces of Czech "Kazbek" hops that I happened to have lying around) but it gets most of its flavor from fresh Sage leaves plus a touch of Star Anise.  I was really trying to go light on the ABV so this one came out around 4.3%
I can give you more details about these recipes if desired.  Stop by and sample some of my brews, and perhaps if I may suggest, trade me some of yours!

--
----
"In a country well-governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of.  In a country badly-governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." --CONFUCIOUS