Oktoberfest meeting minutes

brandon obrien

Oct 18, 2022, 9:47:35 AM10/18/22
to Sangre de Cristo Craft Brewers

We had our yearly Oktoberfest party and festbier/marzen mini club competition on October 15th. We had nearly 30 people show up with a huge assortment of food and beers on hand. It was also great to have some former club members show up for the first time in a while.

We started the meeting with the mini club competition. We had 9 beers to judge (4 festbiers and 5 marzens). The top three beers for the night were Corey’s Das Leben Marzen in 1st, George’s Festbier in 2nd and Eric’s Marzen in third. Congrats again to Corey for winning multiple mini club competitions at this point!

Speaking of mini club competitions, here are the next two so you can start planning your brew day!

For February 2023 – Start thinking about brewing a stout for our February 2023 mini club competition. If you want to brew a heavy stout, you should probably start brewing it soon!

For March 2023 – We’ll have another round of our Irish beer competition. Anything that’s considered an Irish beer (red ale, dry irish stout, etc) will be included in this competition.

There wasn’t much else in the way of club discussion due to the party nature of the meeting. There are a couple other things I wanted to mention though:

  1. Club Insurance – In order to get our club insurance at a discounted rate, we need to show that 75% of our members are AHA yearly membership holders. If you haven’t joined the AHA (or have an old membership or have a different club listed as your home club), I’d encourage you to check it out. Some of the benefits include a list of AHA medal winning beer recipes, a digital subscription to Zymurgy magazine, discounts at breweries around the country and ability to enter competitions. More info here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/
  2. Club Shirt Order – Right now I’m trying to see what kind of numbers we’re looking at for a new shirt order. If you’d like to order a shirt during this round, please see this blog post for more information on the shirts and a link to the interest form: https://brewsantafe.com/2022/09/27/sdccb-club-shirts-apparel-order/

The full list of beers brought to the meeting were:

  • Aaron C: Gillian by Goose Island
  • Brandon O: Festbier, Munich Dunkel, Barleywine
  • Corey T: Das Leben Marzen, Five different commercial beers
  • David G: Kokopellifest Marzen
  • Ed: Oktoberfest
  • Eric H: Marzen, Five different commercial beers
  • George: Festbier, Sour w/ peaches
  • Jim Andrews: American Pilsner, Blonde Ale, Swartzbier, Roggenbier, German Pils (1 & 3), Cream Ale, Springtime Cream Ale, Munich Helles,
  • Ken: Festbier, Marzen
  • Lorrey: Trappist single, Pauliner Oktoberfest
  • Mel: Italian Pilsner, Dunkel
  • Tom: Oktoberfest, 2021 Cider, Frootwood

(Note: commercial beers are italicized)

-Brandon