Anyone interested in BJCP exams?

brandon obrien

Jul 6, 2021, 2:59:35 PM7/6/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
I just received an email from Dennis Mitchell, the BJCP president of the Mountain/NW section, about holding a BJCP exam this October.  They need at least 6 participants in order for a national judge to come out and administer the exam.

If you're interested and would like to take the BJCP exam this October (I don't know what the actual date is yet), please let me know.  If we have at least 6 people interested, then I think we should kick up the monthly BJCP guideline tastings again so we're fresh on all the latest guidelines and styles.

-Brandon

John Rowley

Jul 6, 2021, 3:03:35 PM7/6/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Depending on dates (I have some obligations in October already), I am interested in taking both a written and tasting exam.  I think there was talk to Jeremy coming out to administer exams in November, so keep that in mind as well.

Cheers,
John

Warren Lail

Jul 6, 2021, 3:14:36 PM7/6/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
I’m interested.

Warren

Sent from my iPhone

Jimmy Steinbach

Jul 6, 2021, 3:48:04 PM7/6/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com

Did you guys contact BJCP about setting this up or did they email you out of the blue? Maybe this Dennis Mitchell is a solid guy and make some quality changes within the BJCP!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

brandon obrien

Jul 6, 2021, 3:57:39 PM7/6/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

He emailed me directly earlier today (and CCed Jeremy).  I'm not sure if he was in communication with Jeremy prior to messaging me, but he obviously knew to CC him on the email. He had also mentioned talking to Mike Hall so it sounds like he has some kind of a grasp on the area.

It sounds like they're really interested in getting more judges in the SW region so they don't have to keep flying people in from across the country for a lot of the regional competitions.

-Brandon

Jimmy Steinbach

Jul 6, 2021, 3:59:06 PM7/6/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com

Ah Okay, I bet Jeremy set this in motion and mentioned Mike Hall as a National Judge to help proctor the test.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

David Gunter

Jul 6, 2021, 4:36:33 PM7/6/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Several people replied to Jeremy Olsen's request a few months back to offer an exam in Santa Fe this fall as well.

-david
--
David Gunter
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Jim Steinbach

Jul 6, 2021, 4:41:11 PM7/6/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
I would love to come out and help proctor this for you guys. I'm not sure if I can swing it this year but I'll stay posted with the dates.

Jimmy Steinbach

Jul 6, 2021, 5:09:11 PM7/6/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
This is the same exam I initially proposed to administer on Oct 24th.  The BJCP has determined they would prefer someone in local BJCP region to administer the exams, rather than someone outside the region, so Dennis is taking over the exam admin for the day. I'm still planning on coming down to be one of the proctors and he was able to arrange for another proctor to come in from Denver.
Dennis is aware of the limited National judge availability in NM and does seem interested in helping in future exams as needed.  I've met him a couple of times and he seems like a good dude.

Jeremy

ERIC HEINRICH

Jul 6, 2021, 7:35:20 PM7/6/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested in taking the exam but need a class first or I would totally bomb it.

Eric

Jul 6, 2021, 8:12:27 PM7/6/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Same here.

-Nathan

On Jul 6, 2021, at 5:55 PM, David Teter <redme...@gmail.com> wrote:

I’m interested in the exams and the tasting homework prior. Count me in.

Nathan K.

Jul 7, 2021, 8:51:08 AM7/7/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
I've met Dennis a few times at competitions and can vouch that's hes a great guy and passionate about the bjcp.

brandon obrien

Jul 12, 2021, 9:12:32 AM7/12/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
I had a phone call with Dennis last week and he mentioned he thought the exam directors didn't actually put our exam date on the calendar for October this year.  He said he'd double check and just got back with me this morning confirming that we aren't on the calendar.  That leaves us with two options:

1. We can still hold an exam on Oct 24th, but the grading of the exam will be delayed since they haven't allocated graders during that month for the exam.

2. We can plan for a future date in Spring 2022.

I'm leaning toward option #2 which will give us more time to prepare and do more beer style sampling ahead of the exam.

For those who are interested in the exam, do you have any strong thoughts one way or another for which option to take?

-Brandon

Warren Lail

Jul 12, 2021, 9:19:56 AM7/12/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
I personally need lots of tasting and training my tastebuds before any exam.

Warren

Sent from my iPhone

John Rowley

Jul 12, 2021, 9:23:16 AM7/12/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
I vote for option 2

On Jul 12, 2021, at 7:19 AM, Warren Lail <wkl...@gmail.com> wrote:

I personally need lots of tasting and training my tastebuds before any exam.

Nathan Hjelm

Jul 12, 2021, 9:24:02 AM7/12/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
#2 would be ideal.

-Nathan

ERIC HEINRICH

Jul 12, 2021, 9:56:12 AM7/12/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Since I don't see myself judging any competitions anytime soon and will need lots of training, option 2 seems the best to me.

Eric