New brewery in Santa Fe

David Gunter

Feb 23, 2021, 11:47:26 AM2/23/21
to nmsdccb

John Rowley

Feb 23, 2021, 12:49:33 PM2/23/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
These guys came to visit, and I gave them a rundown of my experiences with what we've faced as a brewery.  They wanted to do a small 1 bbl system, and really this was just being looked at a way to keep their business afloat with a secondary/tertiary income stream. Without reading the article, my impression was that they just wanted to have a small bar/tap room for when bars could be useful again (herd immunity times) with 4 taps or so.  The dude that was going to brew for them is super old (makes Warren look like a spring chicken), but does not have the gumption of a Phil or Jim the Elder, so my guess is he is in for a reality check if he plans to brew by himself on a small scale and try to keep taps full.

The good news here is they eschew kinderbier, and look to brew reliable malt-forward styles like English browns (Reagor will love this) and dry Irish stouts.

David Gunter

Feb 23, 2021, 12:52:44 PM2/23/21
to nmsdccb
That is the same impression I got from the article. Just as their coffee shop served the few clientele and people who would be passing by and entice them to shop, I think their small brewing operation would serve the same purpose.

Warren Lail

Feb 23, 2021, 11:22:50 PM2/23/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Spring Chicken here....

They might be interested in buying my 30 gallon system (almost 1 bbl).  I’m going to sell my Stout Tanks 30 amp electric turn-key HERMS brewing system as well as my 17 gallon stainless conical fermenter.  Will include two controllers, two chugger pumps, braided silicon hoses, valves, tri-clamps, etc.  I hurt my back about a year and a half ago and I’m going to have to downsize a bit.  I’ll post more information soon.  Possibly Rowley (who himself is no spring chicken) can forward the information to these guys or help me get the word out to the Dukes and those dudes up in Los Alamos.

More info soon.  This would also be a great pilot system for a small brewery.

Warren

John Rowley

Feb 24, 2021, 8:26:11 AM2/24/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Warren, I don't recall their names, but if you call the Travel Bug, you should be able to reach the owners. I did a quick search back through my emails and do not see anything relevant to that name other than this thread. This could have been all done over the phone as well, as I think Kirkman was the one who passed along my number. There may be contact information associated with the article.

All this said, my advice to them was to install a 3.5 BBL system as 1 BBL is too little to try to support multiple taps, unless they don't mind brewing multiple times daily, and have the fermentation capacity to support that. I was supposed to get them Doug's contact information at the Tub to discuss a visit to their 3.5 BBL system, but I could never find their email address, so I'm pretty sure they must have called me to arrange the talk we had early in the winter.

Good luck with the sale.

Cheers,
John

Jim Steinbach

Feb 24, 2021, 9:28:30 AM2/24/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Free shipping to Virginia?

Jimmy Steinbach

Feb 24, 2021, 9:51:32 AM2/24/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

Just hop in your truck and buzz on out here.

Warren

dogunter

Feb 24, 2021, 9:52:16 AM2/24/21
to nmsdccb
On for people named "Steinbach".

Carpenter, ScottX A

Feb 24, 2021, 9:57:25 AM2/24/21
to Warren Lail, nms...@googlegroups.com

Hello Warren and others,

Send me a listing with contact info and any pricing or pictures and we can get it posted along to the Dukes Of Ale club.

We have not been meeting since March and are always looking for anything to add activity/value to our sites.

I need to inventory and test a 15 gallon combo electric/propane system that someone sold/donated to the club and hope to use it for big brews and barrel fill projects soon.  We recently acquired quite a library of brewing books as well that can be shared amongst our members.

I am always glad to see posts from the Sangres, and hope for more social opportunities and competitions to resume eventually.

Cheers.

Scott Carpenter

DOA VP

Warren Lail

Feb 24, 2021, 11:54:55 AM2/24/21
to Carpenter, ScottX A, nms...@googlegroups.com
Hi ScottX and others,

I’ll put together a comprehensive list of items that will be included in this system as well as price and photos once I figure out how much of a beating I’m willing to take. But I clearly can’t do the heavy lifting anymore so it’s better if this system gets in the hands of someone (or a club or brewery) that can put it to good use.

Warren
Sent from my iPhone

John Rowley

Feb 24, 2021, 12:33:13 PM2/24/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com, Carpenter, ScottX A
Becoming a fall chicken isn't something to look forward to eh Warren? At least there is much scotch to soothe the  pains of aging.

Get yourself a Grainfather and be done with it.

Cheers,
John

Warren Lail

Feb 24, 2021, 3:42:59 PM2/24/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
John,

I purchased two 35L Brewzillas; one for brewing and the other to heat sparge water.  I use a pulley to lift the grain basket - my back loves me.  The downside: it’s not as cool as my big system and I can’t brew 10 gallon batches, but at least I’m brewing.

Like good scotch, I’m getting better with age.

Warren

James Andrews

Feb 24, 2021, 5:05:00 PM2/24/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Hey Warren, heed John,s advice.  Go long, go slow.
JIM

Warren Lail

Feb 24, 2021, 6:00:11 PM2/24/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
In 1601 Francis Bacon said “[The] strength of nature in youth passeth over many excesses, which are owing a man till his age. Discern of the coming on of years, and think not to do the same things still; for age will not be defied.”  Benjamin Franklin (1790) may have stated it more succinctly when he said, “Eat not to dullness, drink not to elevation.”

Bacon also offered this advice; “Begin doing what you want to do now.  We are not living in eternity.  We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand - and melting like a snowflake.“

I brew, I read, I think. Life is good and, as far as I can tell, my moment has not yet melted away.

The best advice? “Relax, don’t worry, have a home brew” (Charlie P).

Warren

Phil Rickert

Feb 24, 2021, 6:30:28 PM2/24/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Warren - John is right.  I have a Grainfather and my brewdays are super easy.

Phil

Sent from my iPad

Warren Lail

Feb 24, 2021, 7:13:51 PM2/24/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Can we post pictures to this group email?

Warren

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 24, 2021, at 4:30 PM, Phil Rickert <sanf...@gmail.com> wrote:

Warren - John is right.  I have a Grainfather and my brewdays are super easy.

dogunter

Feb 25, 2021, 8:44:09 AM2/25/21
to nmsdccb
You should be able to attach photos to email, Warren. Go ahead.

Warren Lail

Feb 25, 2021, 9:55:33 AM2/25/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David!

Warren

On Feb 25, 2021, at 6:44 AM, dogunter <dogu...@gmail.com> wrote:

You should be able to attach photos to email, Warren. Go ahead.

David Gunter
Santa Fe, NM