BJCP Class Saturday September 25, 2:30 PM @ Tom & Georgia's

Tom Russo

Sep 20, 2021, 1:25:40 PM9/20/21
to Sangre de Cristo Craft Brewers
Everybody who is interested in BJCP Training:

Please respond back quickly with a tentative yes or no.  I'd rather reschedule than have half the people miss it.

The first BJCP class will be held Saturday 9/25/21 2:30 PM at my house
2408 Camino Agua Azul in Santa Fe.  Close to the intersection of Zia and Rodeo.

The topics will be:
1. The Judging Process
2. Score Sheet: Appearance
3: Style: Stouts and Porters

Preparation: (For those who have time)
Download an app or image containing the beer color chart and the 2015 style guidelines.
Fill out the appearance section of a scoresheet (mentally if you want) for any beer.
Read the style guidelines for the beers we will review. (9C, 13C, 15B, 15C, 16A, 16B, 16C, 16D, 20A, 20B, 20C).

We'll have some snacks.  I figure this will run about 90 minutes.  We'll be consuming the equivalent of 2 or so strong-ish beers.  You are welcome to hang around for as long as you want afterwards.

There will be no fee for this class, but future classes may include reimbursement for the beer styles we review.

Thanks,

Aaron Costello

Sep 20, 2021, 3:04:15 PM9/20/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
No, will be out of town most Saturdays

On Sep 20, 2021, at 11:25 AM, Tom Russo <tomd...@hotmail.com> wrote:

 Everybody who is interested in BJCP Training:

Warren Lail

Sep 20, 2021, 3:55:22 PM9/20/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Yes.  I’m in.

Warren

Tom Russo

Sep 20, 2021, 8:50:39 PM9/20/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Two questions:
If it was Thursday, 9/30at 6:30, could you make it?

Where do you find specialty beer nearby? I am looking for Baltic Porter, Tropical Stout, and Foreign Extra Stout, preferably from the commercial examples in the guidelines.

David Teter

Sep 20, 2021, 9:25:31 PM9/20/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
To the original question, I cannot make it this Saturday. I’m going to the SF Wine & Chile Festival practicing my wine tasting :)

And I’ll be out of town for the first two weekends in Oct. due to a prior commitment.

I can make it Thursday 9/30 @ 6:30PM

Not sure where you can find some of those beers. If you all felt my milk stout was representative of the style, then I could bring a bottle of that for comparison — or to compare to a commercial version.

Dave T.

brandon obrien

Sep 21, 2021, 9:08:25 AM9/21/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Thursday 9/30 would work for me.

I think Total Wine will be our best local bet for a wide variety of various styles locally.

-Brandon

George Candal

Sep 21, 2021, 9:50:45 AM9/21/21
to Sangre de Cristo Craft Brewers
I can't make it this Saturday, but 9/30 would work for me.

It is going to be hard to find some of the specialty beers here. I'm going to Phoenix in a couple of weeks. If you post a list of all of the styles you can't find I will look out there and see if I can take some back with me.

Tom Russo

Sep 21, 2021, 3:31:21 PM9/21/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Moving the date and time.  I should have seating for everybody.  Anybody who wants to attend, please join us for any session.  Anybody who has knowledge to share is asked to let us know so we can schedule you to impart it on the rest of us.

Any idea where the glass glasses are?  I'll have plastic cups if we don't have them, but I'd like to have all the samples available for comparison simultaneously, and that's a lot of one-use plastic.

Thanks for the off-flavor info Warren.  I hope you can make it.

The off-flavor class is the most fun.  We need to have the exam scheduled before we are eligible for a discounted kit.  Hopefully we can get it ordered for November or December.

The first BJCP class will be held Thursday 9/30 6:30 PM at my house

Eric Heinrich

Sep 21, 2021, 4:57:11 PM9/21/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
How many beers do you anticipate us sampling?  I can probably bring enough of my own glasses for a vertical tasting.  Also, I will be going to Southwest grape and grain tomorrow if anyone wants me to pick up some supplies for them.

Tom Russo

Sep 26, 2021, 1:44:35 PM9/26/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
I have 8 so far.  I don't think I'll find the other 3 before Thursday, but I could get lucky.  I might be able to get the club glasses from Rowley's.  I'll let everyone know if I do.

Sent from Outlook

Sep 27, 2021, 12:20:07 PM9/27/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
I went to Rowley's and have the glasses AND a Baltic Porter.

I'm still on the lookout for a Foreign Extra Stout and a Tropical Stout.  Mostly for my own edification.  They are unlikely to be used in the tasting exam.

George, thanks for your offer.  It will be too late for this class, but I'll be searching for commercial examples for future styles.

I'll see you on Thursday.

Tom Russo

Sep 29, 2021, 11:45:49 PM9/29/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

Quick Poll

My daughter came to visit for a couple of days after a wedding.  She left today and found out tonight that two friends at the wedding have tested positive for Covid.  She took an at-home test before coming here and another tonight when she got the news.  Both were negative, but she is going to get a better test tomorrow.  She, Georgia and I are all vaccinated and not experiencing any symptoms.  (Which is unfortunately one of the symptoms).

If her new test is positive, I will cancel, but everybody else could meet somewhere else and I'll send the beer, glasses, and my teaching notes to the other venue. (Volunteers can contact me directly tomd...@hotmail.com or 630-677-6366).

If her new test is negative, would you still plan to attend here?  We'll be meeting outside and I'll re-sanitize the glasses and ask for a volunteer to pour.  We'll also sanitize the restroom just prior to the class.  YES OR NO?????

Sorry for the late notice, but I figure you give people the information and let them make their choices.

Tom

P.S.  I will move the class communication to another Google Groups account so I stop inundating everybody with this info.

ERIC HEINRICH

Sep 30, 2021, 2:21:04 AM9/30/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tom,

I am fully vaccinated so there is no problem getting together.

Eric

Sep 30, 2021, 9:17:15 AM9/30/21
to Sangre de Cristo Craft Brewers
Thanks for the heads up. I would still like to attend.

George

Tom Russo

Sep 30, 2021, 7:54:52 PM9/30/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
I got three yeses, so we're on. I'm not sure about outside, but we have options

Tom Russo

Oct 22, 2021, 10:34:33 AM10/22/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
The second BJCP class will be held Thursday 10/28/21 6:30 PM at my house.
2408 Camino Agua Azul in Santa Fe.  Close to the intersection of Zia and Rodeo.
You are welcome to attend any class, regardless of prior attendance or interest in taking the exam.

We'll have snacks available.  I'm going to ask for $5 from everybody to defray the cost of the sample beers, but I'll split up the remaining beers for you to take home.

I'm also asking for people to bring hop samples.  I have Saaz, Halertau and Cascade.  I'd like another classic American hop, (Centennial or Columbus) and a couple of English Hops (Challenger, Fuggles, Goldings).  If you can bring them, let me know.  If anybody wants to bring another favorite hop or something that I am overlooking, please do.

The topics will be:

1. Score Sheet: Aroma
2. Ingredient: Hops
3. Style: American Ales
18. PALE AMERICAN ALE
    18A. Blonde Ale
    18B. American Pale Ale
19. AMBER AND BROWN AMERICAN BEER
    19A. American Amber Ale
    19B. California Common
    19C. American Brown Ale
21.IPA
    21A. American IPA
22. STRONG AMERICAN ALE
    22A. Double IPA
    22B. American Strong Ale
    22C. American Barleywine
Thanks,
Tom
630-677-6366

Tom Russo

Oct 26, 2021, 9:20:59 PM10/26/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I need to cancel this class.  Georgia and I have horrible colds and in addition to not wanting to share them with you, I haven't done any prep.  I'm traveling in November, so my next open Thursday is the 18th.

If anybody wants to take over the 10/28 slot and present these or any other topics, you are welcome to do so.  I'm pasting my sketchy notes below.  Or you can hold another class in the interim.  Otherwise
I'm going to reschedule for Thursday, November 18th at 6:30. (The Thursday before Thanksgiving).  How did that get here so fast?

Thanks,
Tom

[...]

CLASS 2:
Score sheet: Aroma,

Sensory: Hops

Style: American Ales

Preparation:

1.       Pay attention to the aroma of beers you drink.  Think about how the aroma affects your perception and enjoyment of the beer.  Try to discern the source of the things you smell.

2.       Read the style guidelines for the beers we will review.

Part 1: Aroma

Malt

Hops

Esters

Other aromatics

Appropriate to style

The aroma of a beer is important.  An off-aroma can be off putting, even in an otherwise delicious beer.  A good aroma starts your enjoyment of the beer, even before you take your first sip.  Whether good or bad, the aroma must be compared to the style guidelines and the beer should be judged as to whether it meets those guidelines.

Aroma is the most dynamic attribute that you will be judging.  Certain aromas will be present only at the very beginning and others may take a while to appear.  Smell the beer as soon as you get it.  Some people like to cover it with a coaster, their palm, or a fancy, odor free cover.  You may want to agitate the beer while  covered to release some aromatic elements.  Always note the initial aroma before you taste the beer, because the taste may alter your perceptions of aroma.

Off aromas may be present, but that doesn’t always mean a ding.  Some styles allow a certain aromas that we consider “off” in other beers. The most common example is diacetyl, which is allowed, in moderation, in English Ales.

What do you smell from the hops?  Spicy, fruity, pine....  Be as specific as your senses allow you, and write what you sense and what you expect.

Does the malt smell like bread, coffee, wheat, biscuit…

Are esters present?  Fruity, ***what else?

Any off aromas?  Butter, Green Apple, Puke, Phenols, Skunky…  Note it, but also know if it is ok for the style.  Some oxidation of a well aged barleywine can be part of its character.

You will commonly be served beers that are too cold to judge properly.  Warm the glass with your hands, while preserving the aroma.  As it warms, new aromas will be released.

It may be unfair to judge a beer by a fleeting smell that you might not even notice when drinking a pint, but it can also be an indicator of something that’s amiss that you can’t quite pin down otherwise.  Noting a fleeting aroma can be done without affecting your score.

Part 2: Hops

American

British

Noble

Part 3: American Ales

18. PALE AMERICAN ALE......................................................32
18A. Blonde Ale ...........................................................32
Kona Big Wave Golden Ale, Pelican Kiwanda Cream Ale, Russian River Aud Blonde, Victory Summer Love, Widmer Citra Summer Blonde Brew
18B. American Pale Ale ...............................................33
Ballast Point Grunion Pale Ale, Firestone Walker Pale 31, Great Lakes Burning River, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Stone Pale Ale, Tröegs Pale Ale
19. AMBER AND BROWN AMERICAN BEER ............................34
19A. American Amber Ale ...........................................34
Deschutes Cinder Cone Red, Full Sail Amber, Kona Lavaman Red Ale, North Coast Ruedrich's Red Seal Ale, Rogue American Amber Ale, Tröegs HopBack Amber Ale
19B. California Common .............................................34
Anchor Steam, Flying Dog Old Scratch Amber Lager, Schlafly Pi Common, Steamworks Steam Engine Lager
19C. American Brown Ale............................................35
Anchor Brekle’s Brown, Big Sky Moose Drool Brown Ale, Brooklyn Brown Ale, Bell’s Best Brown, Cigar City Maduro Brown Ale, Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale, Telluride Face Down Brown
21A. American IPA ......................................................37
Alpine Duet, Bell’s Two-Hearted Ale, Fat Heads Head Hunter IPA, Firestone Walker Union Jack, Lagunitas IPA, Russian River Blind Pig IPA, Stone IPA
22. STRONG AMERICAN ALE.................................................42
22A. Double IPA..........................................................42
Avery Maharaja, Fat Heads Hop Juju, Firestone Walker Double Jack, Port Brewing Hop 15, Russian River Pliny the Elder, Stone Ruination IPA, Three Floyds Dreadnaught
22B. American Strong Ale...........................................42
Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale, Great Lakes Nosferatu, Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster, Port Brewing Shark Attack Double Red, Stone Arrogant Bastard,
22C. American Barleywine..........................................43
Avery Hog Heaven Barleywine, Anchor Old Foghorn, Great Divide Old Ruffian, Rogue Old Crustacean, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, Victory Old Horizontal
22D. Wheatwine ..........................................................44  (Not necessary, but would be nice to try).
Rubicon Winter Wheat Wine, Two Brothers Bare Trees Weiss Wine, Smuttynose Wheat Wine, Portsmouth Wheat Wine

ERIC HEINRICH

Oct 27, 2021, 1:32:04 AM10/27/21
to nms...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to hear you are both not feeling well.  Get better soon and we will see you next month.

Eric

Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 8:20 PM
To: nms...@googlegroups.com <nms...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: CANCELLED: [nmsdccb] BJCP Class Thursdsay October 28, 6:30 PM @ Tom & Georgia's