April 2022 "Meading" Minutes

brandon obrien

Apr 22, 2022, 3:18:26 PM4/22/22
to Sangre de Cristo Craft Brewers

We had a great turnout at our April meeting which took place at the Santa Fe Brewing Co Beer Hall. There were fifteen members who showed up, including two which was their first time coming to one of our meetings. David dubbed this the “meading” since we had 12 different homebrewed meads to sample!

Some topics we covered at the meeting included:

Big Brew – Big Brew is taking place May 7th at Beer Creek Brewing Company (3810 NM-14, Santa Fe, NM 87508), starting around 9am. Come and brew a beer or hang out and drink some beers and have some pizza. 50 cents of each beer purchase on the 7th will go towards a fund to help Ted Bolleter with rebuilding his family home after a fire.

Next Mini Club Competition – The next mini club competition will take place at the June meeting. For this round, we’ll be brewing beers that contain honey in some form (either during boil or added after fermentation has already started). The judging should be based on which beer has the most honey flavor and how well it compliments the base style.

Memorial Day Campout – We have the Santa Fe Brewing Hop Farm reserved for Memorial Day weekend (May 28-30). Come and camp for a night or two or just hang out for the day. The spot is right on the river and is a great secluded spot to relax or take a kayak out. The hop farm is next to the Blue Heron brewery in Rinconada (GPS: 36.21577998126095, -105.8829407363819). It sounds like Tom will be playing Camp Host all weekend.

New T-Shirt Orders – It’s been a while since we bought our last round of club branded t-shirts and work shirts. We’ll start getting this planned so we can get shirts to anyone who wants a fresh one or who doesn’t have one yet.

BJCP Practice – The next BJCP practice is planned for Thursday April 28th at 6:30pm at Tom’s house. If you’re interested in participating, please refer to the email he sent out and let him know if you can make it.

Brew Day / Beer Share w/ Eric and Corey – Eric and Corey invited the club to join them for a brew day and beer share on April 30th starting mid-morning and going into the afternoon. Eric will have some food on hand in addition to the beer. Let Eric or Corey know you plan on attending by replying to Eric’s email.

The full list of beers and meads brought to the meeting were:

  • Lorrey: Belgian Dubbel, French Press Coffee Stout from St Arnold Brewing
  • George: West Coast Pilsner, California Common
  • Ed: English Strong Ale, Bohemian Pils, Cherry Stout, Pineapple Wheat
  • Brandon: Mango/Passion Fruit Mead, Choke Cherry Mead, Plum Mead, Vanilla Chocolate Mead
  • Ken: Choke Cherry Mead, Oak Choke Cherry Mead, Oak & Vanilla Choke Cherry Mead
  • Kevin:  Lychee Mead, Vanilla Oak Mead, Vanilla/Cinnamon/Apple/Raisin/Fig Mead
  • Mike: Meadowform Mead, Wild Golden Sour, Flanders’s Red, Imperial Stout with Maple, Super Nebula Breakfast Stout from Block 15 Brewing
  • Eric: Baltic Porter, O’hara Irish Stout, O’hara Irish Red
  • Corey: Peanut Butter Milk Stout from Belching Beaver Brewing
  • Tom: Marmion Abbey Quadruple from Energy City Brewing, Twenty Three Dark Farmhouse Ale from Avery Brewing
  • Jason: Funk Farm Ale from Tumbleroot Brewery
Meeting minutes can always be found on the club website here: https://brewsantafe.com/2022/04/22/april-2022-meading-minutes/

-Brandon