poky tutorial

Jun Yang

Jul 7, 2021, 4:47:44 PM7/7/21
to NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP
Is there a place where I can learn poky? The help documents on poky are most for sparky or nmrfam-sparky. What I'm interested now is how to prepare the data for NOE assignment and structural calculation. While there is nothing about the former issue, there is only youtube video on preparation for structural calculation but it goes at super expert level and I don't get much as a beginner user. A detailed documentation about these procedures will definitely benefit newcomers and help spreading the wonderful suite to the structural biology community.

Thanks.

Jun

Lee, Woonghee

Jul 7, 2021, 6:09:43 PM7/7/21
to Jun Yang, NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP

Dear Jun,

I think you will be interested in learning the PONDEROSA-C/S package. Poky Structure Builder and Poky Structure Analyzer are basically successors of Ponderosa Client and Ponderosa Analyzer programs which are components of PONDEROSA-C/S. You can get some information from http://ponderosa.nmrfam.wisc.edu and https://www.youtube.com/user/pinesparky

Also, Gabriel’s presentation from NMRFAM workshop 2019: https://youtu.be/roZxxhx_epo?t=26115

Best,

Woonghee

--

Woonghee Lee, I.E.I.P., M.S., Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

Department of Chemistry

University of Colorado Denver

1151 Arapahoe St. (Science Bldg.) Rm 4128A

Denver, CO 80217-3364, USA

Office: +1-303-315-7672

woongh...@ucdenver.edu

https://poky.clas.ucdenver.edu

https://poky.clas.ucdenver.edu/wlee-group

https://clas.ucdenver.edu/chemistry/woonghee-lee

Shipping/Mailing Address:

Woonghee Lee

1201 5th St. UCD CHEM-194

P.O. Box 173364 (USPS)

Denver, CO 80204, USA

From: <nmr-s...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Jun Yang <yangj...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, July 7, 2021 at 2:47 PM
To: NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP <nmr-s...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [NMR POKY/SPARKY] poky tutorial

[External Email - Use Caution]

Is there a place where I can learn poky? The help documents on poky are most for sparky or nmrfam-sparky. What I'm interested now is how to prepare the data for NOE assignment and structural calculation. While there is nothing about the former issue, there is only youtube video on preparation for structural calculation but it goes at super expert level and I don't get much as a beginner user. A detailed documentation about these procedures will definitely benefit newcomers and help spreading the wonderful suite to the structural biology community.

Thanks.

Jun

Jun Yang

Jul 7, 2021, 7:14:26 PM7/7/21
to NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP
Thanks for the information. In my understanding, PONDEROSA-C/S are for structural calculation, right? What about NOE assignment? I don't need to install Ponderosa Client and Ponderosa Analyzer if I have Poky suite, right?

Lee, Woonghee

Jul 7, 2021, 7:16:53 PM7/7/21
to Jun Yang, NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP

Hi Jun,

NOE assignment is concurrently conducted with structure calculation. Check this paper out: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10858-016-0036-y

POKY includes all necessities and you don’t need to install PONDEROSA-C/S separately.

Best,

Woonghee

From: <nmr-s...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Jun Yang <yangj...@gmail.com>

Date: Wednesday, July 7, 2021 at 5:14 PM
To: NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP <nmr-s...@googlegroups.com>

Subject: Re: [NMR POKY/SPARKY] poky tutorial

[External Email - Use Caution]Thanks for the information. In my understanding, PONDEROSA-C/S are for structural calculation, right? What about NOE assignment? I don't need to install Ponderosa Client and Ponderosa Analyzer if I have Poky suite, right?

Jun Yang

Jul 8, 2021, 5:09:24 PM7/8/21
to NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP
My test protein is about 90% backbone assigned and many of the assigned residues have sidechain assigned as well in PIPP shift table. I have the 2D 15N-HSQC spectrum with the 15N shifts are converted to pseudo-C shifts to match that in the NC-NOESY, and un-assigned 3D NC-NOESY spectrum where 15N and 13C are in the same dimension, and 13C sw is reduced so that all shifts above 48.5ppm are folded (ie, observed shift + 43ppm = real shift). With these data, do you think I can try the NOE auto assignment and structural calculation?

If so, I have following questions:
0. The first residue index of my protein doesn't start from 1, is that ok?

1. I need to convert the PIPP shift table to a format that poky accept it, ie, the resonance list? If you don't have a converter for this kind of shift table format, I can write a script for it. However, how to name the atoms for the pseudo-atom when only one atom location is visible for a methylene proton? Do I use "Q" to replace them? I see methyl protons are already named with "#" at the end so "M" may not necessary. The other issue is that I see all my N atoms are assigned as 13C in "Nuc" probably due to the shifts falling into usual 13C shift range after N-to-C conversion, I should correct them, right?

2. Because my N shifts are converted to pseudo-C shifts and many non-G Calpha are folded to a lower shifts, will these cause trouble in the "resonance outlier" checkup procedure?

3. In the "Builder" window, I can load the converted shift file other than the opened one generated by the assigned 2D spectrum, right?

4. In the additional constrain list, I see there is an option of "atomic coordinate .pdb", is this the template pdb file it refers to?

5. how to fill in the "S-S" or "cis Pro" box, do I just put like "140-150" to indicate there is a cys-cys bridge forming between residue 140 and 150, and "223" to indicate residue 223 is cis pro? If there are more than one occurrence, I can just separate them by a blank, right?

6. In my case, should I check "PACSY boost" option?

Thanks.

Jun

Lee, Woonghee

Jul 8, 2021, 5:21:00 PM7/8/21
to Jun Yang, NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP

Hi Jun,

0. The first residue index of my protein doesn't start from 1, is that ok?

That is OK if the numbers are larger than zero and smaller than 1000.

1. I need to convert the PIPP shift table to a format that poky accept it, ie, the resonance list? If you don't have a converter for this kind of shift table format, I can write a script for it. However, how to name the atoms for the pseudo-atom when only one atom location is visible for a methylene proton? Do I use "Q" to replace them? I see methyl protons are already named with "#" at the end so "M" may not necessary. The other issue is that I see all my N atoms are assigned as 13C in "Nuc" probably due to the shifts falling into usual 13C shift range after N-to-C conversion, I should correct them, right?

I wrote PIPP shift table support five years ago but haven’t tested much. But the nomenclature needs to be dealt with. You can simply detach #. You can use Q or M for your bookkeeping but it isn’t necessary to run program.

2. Because my N shifts are converted to pseudo-C shifts and many non-G Calpha are folded to a lower shifts, will these cause trouble in the "resonance outlier" checkup procedure?

They should have corrected (aliased) chemical shifts.

3. In the "Builder" window, I can load the converted shift file other than the opened one generated by the assigned 2D spectrum, right?

You can do both. You are referring the difference between “Import” button and “Open” button.

4. In the additional constrain list, I see there is an option of "atomic coordinate .pdb", is this the template pdb file it refers to?

If your calculation option is related to automated NOE assignment, that will work as decoys (initial structure is a stretched thread). If not (constraint only), the pdb will be the initial structure and you are refining the structure from there.

5. how to fill in the "S-S" or "cis Pro" box, do I just put like "140-150" to indicate there is a cys-cys bridge forming between residue 140 and 150, and "223" to indicate residue 223 is cis pro? If there are more than one occurrence, I can just separate them by a blank, right?

Use comma to separate. If you place your cursor in the box for a few seconds, it just shows the hint.

6. In my case, should I check "PACSY boost" option?

You can submit two different jobs and see what gives better results.

Cheers,

Woonghee

From: <nmr-s...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Jun Yang <yangj...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, July 8, 2021 at 3:09 PM
To: NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP <nmr-s...@googlegroups.com>

[External Email - Use Caution]My test protein is about 90% backbone assigned and many of the assigned residues have sidechain assigned as well in PIPP shift table. I have the 2D 15N-HSQC spectrum with the 15N shifts are converted to pseudo-C shifts to match that in the NC-NOESY, and un-assigned 3D NC-NOESY spectrum where 15N and 13C are in the same dimension, and 13C sw is reduced so that all shifts above 48.5ppm are folded (ie, observed shift + 43ppm = real shift). With these data, do you think I can try the NOE auto assignment and structural calculation?

Gabriel Cornilescu

Jun Yang

Jul 8, 2021, 9:06:42 PM7/8/21
to NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP
Hi Woonghee,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I need a bit more clarification on some questions:

On Thursday, July 8, 2021 at 5:21:00 PM UTC-4 Lee, Woonghee wrote:

Hi Jun,

1. I need to convert the PIPP shift table to a format that poky accept it, ie, the resonance list? If you don't have a converter for this kind of shift table format, I can write a script for it. However, how to name the atoms for the pseudo-atom when only one atom location is visible for a methylene proton? Do I use "Q" to replace them? I see methyl protons are already named with "#" at the end so "M" may not necessary. The other issue is that I see all my N atoms are assigned as 13C in "Nuc" probably due to the shifts falling into usual 13C shift range after N-to-C conversion, I should correct them, right?

I wrote PIPP shift table support five years ago but haven’t tested much. But the nomenclature needs to be dealt with. You can simply detach #. You can use Q or M for your bookkeeping but it isn’t necessary to run program.

I'm a bit confused. Should I NOT use "Q" or "M" in the resonance list file? If so, how to name the methlyene proton if I only observe one shift, use HB# as in xplor-nih to represent either HB1 or HB2 or both, since this form can then be directly exported to xplor-nih constrains? What about the wrong nucleus assignment for 15N, I need to correct that during the format conversion, right?

2. Because my N shifts are converted to pseudo-C shifts and many non-G Calpha are folded to a lower shifts, will these cause trouble in the "resonance outlier" checkup procedure?

They should have corrected (aliased) chemical shifts.

Do you mean I need to correct them to the corresponding normal values? I thought this shift table will be used to assign the NOEs. If these shifts are correctly back to normal 15N shifts and Ca shifts, they will not be found in the spectra, isn't that an issue?

4. In the additional constrain list, I see there is an option of "atomic coordinate .pdb", is this the template pdb file it refers to?

If your calculation option is related to automated NOE assignment, that will work as decoys (initial structure is a stretched thread). If not (constraint only), the pdb will be the initial structure and you are refining the structure from there.

The first job I send will be for automated NOE assignment, then I don't need to provide any pdb file, right? Will the NOE assignment help to identify more unassigned atoms? What result do I expect after this job is done, NOE assignment only or with initial structure calculation result as well?

Thanks a lot.

Jun

Lee, Woonghee

Jul 8, 2021, 9:14:14 PM7/8/21
to Jun Yang, NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP

Hi Jun,

I’m a bit confused. Should I NOT use “Q” or “M” in the resonance list file? If so, how to name the ethylene proton if I only observe one shift, use HB# as in xplor-nih to represent either HB1 or HB2 or both, since this form can then be directly exported to xplor-nih constrains? What about the wrong nucleus assignment for 15N, I need to correct that during the format conversion, right?

You should change it to HB or QB.

Do you mean I need to correct them to the corresponding normal values? I thought this shift table will be used to assign the NOEs. If these shifts are correctly back to normal 15N shifts and Ca shifts, they will not be found in the spectra, isn't that an issue?

They need to be in normal range. Both your chemical shifts in the resonance table and peak and in the noesy peak list. In the case of ambiguous NOE peak that can be assigned to multiple resonances, chemical shift distribution plays a role in calculating probabilities.

The first job I send will be for automated NOE assignment, then I don't need to provide any pdb file, right? Will the NOE assignment help to identify more unassigned atoms? What result do I expect after this job is done, NOE assignment only or with initial structure calculation result as well?

Yes if you stick with constraint only options after the initial run. If you want to collect more constraints, you may use intermediate structures. You can just try a few different combinations and you will understand how they differ.

Cheers,

Jun Yang

Jul 8, 2021, 9:53:12 PM7/8/21
On Thursday, July 8, 2021 at 9:14:14 PM UTC-4 Lee, Woonghee wrote:

Hi Jun,

I’m a bit confused. Should I NOT use “Q” or “M” in the resonance list file? If so, how to name the ethylene proton if I only observe one shift, use HB# as in xplor-nih to represent either HB1 or HB2 or both, since this form can then be directly exported to xplor-nih constrains? What about the wrong nucleus assignment for 15N, I need to correct that during the format conversion, right?

You should change it to HB or QB.

So for the single methylene shift, I can name it as HB or QB; for Ala methyl, I can name it as HB# or MB; what about the two degenerated methyls in Leu or Val, do I name it as QMD/QMG?

Do you mean I need to correct them to the corresponding normal values? I thought this shift table will be used to assign the NOEs. If these shifts are correctly back to normal 15N shifts and Ca shifts, they will not be found in the spectra, isn't that an issue?

They need to be in normal range. Both your chemical shifts in the resonance table and peak and in the noesy peak list. In the case of ambiguous NOE peak that can be assigned to multiple resonances, chemical shift distribution plays a role in calculating probabilities.

I think I need to describe my data better. For example, one N shift normally is 120ppm, and one Ca shift normally is 58ppm, in my nc-noesy spectrum, that particular N shift will be converted to pseudo-C and becomes at 24ppm, and the particular Ca shift will be folded to 15ppm because my spectral window is set at 5.5-48.5ppm. So in this case, if I correct the N and Ca shifts back to their normal range of 120ppm and 58ppm, will the program find the plane of that N and Ca at 24ppm and 15ppm, respectively?

Lee, Woonghee

Jul 8, 2021, 9:58:26 PM7/8/21
to Jun Yang, NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP

Jun,

Use HB or MB for A and HD/HG for L/V.

Again, use corrected chemical shifts both in the resonance list and the peak list. N should be around ~120 and CA ~58.

Woonghee

Get Outlook for iOS

From: "Lee, Woonghee" <WOONGH...@UCDENVER.EDU>
Date: Monday, July 26, 2021 at 9:14 PM
To: Jun Yang <yangj...@gmail.com>

Hi Jun,

Do you mean your chemical shifts on spectra are not converted by aliasing? Or, you mean NOESY data need conversion? There’s no need to put that information somewhere. You can just apply aliases to the peaks need them.

Jun Yang

Jul 26, 2021, 11:57:24 PM7/26/21
to NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP
Hi Woonghee,

I think I need to describe my data better. For example, I have one N shift at 120ppm in regular N-HSQC, and I have one Ca shift at 58ppm in regular C-HSQC. In my nc-noesy spectrum, that particular N shift need be converted to pseudo-C according to formula [Ccenter + (Nshift - Ncenter) x Csw / Nsw] and becomes at 24ppm, and the particular Ca shift will be folded to 15ppm because my spectral window is set at 5.5-48.5ppm (see the attached 2D projection of the NC-NOESY data, the negative peaks on the left half are converted amide protons and the peaks on the top middle are are folded H/Calpha).

Right now in my resonance list, these two atoms are at 120ppm and 58ppm as you suggested in early email. These normal shifts need to be converted in order to match the NC-NOESY dataset. My question is whether I need to also provide the converted shifts for the NC-NOESY data.

Thanks.

Jun
o_H-acq.C.dat_9x7.png

Lee, Woonghee

Jul 27, 2021, 1:08:03 AM7/27/21
to Jun Yang, NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP
Hi Jun,

You have to convert the noesy data not the shift table to make them compatible to the noesy data. I think I have mentioned that. After picking noe peaks, the chemical shifts of the noe peaks need to be corrected. That is preferred because chemical shifts matter in the noe assignment.

Woonghee

Sent: Monday, July 26, 2021 9:57:23 PM

To: NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP <nmr-s...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: FW: [NMR POKY/SPARKY] poky tutorial

Jun Yang

Jul 27, 2021, 9:31:30 AM7/27/21
to Lee, Woonghee, NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP
You mean to re-process the data so that the shifts in the new data match the normal shift ranges of corresponding atom types?

If so, I guess I can process the C dimension as N, which would take care of N shifts, but how to alias those Calpha without modifying the rest carbon shifts?

Jun

Gabriel Cornilescu

Jul 27, 2021, 11:34:19 AM7/27/21
to Jun Yang, Lee, Woonghee, NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP

You could use CS (circular shift) and EXT (extract) functions of NMRPipe and extract two unaliased regions of the spectra seprately (as two spectra)...

Lee, Woonghee

Jun Yang

Jul 27, 2021, 12:40:40 PM7/27/21
to NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP
So basically you suggest that I convert the nc-noesy dataset into three datasets: one has N shifts, one has correct Calpha shifts via CS but all other carbons shifts are wrong, and the third one will be the original dataset with all other carbon shifts correct but Calpha shift wrong, right?

What do I need EXT function for, to extract proton regions only belong to amide protons in "n-noesy" and only belong to aliphatic protons in the other two "c-noesy"? If so, I think that's unnecessary because without extraction, there is directly symmetry in the SAME dataset, otherwise, it needs to search for symmetry in different datasets, right?

Thanks again for all the help.

Jun

Lee, Woonghee

Jul 27, 2021, 12:53:02 PM7/27/21
to Jun Yang, NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP

Hi Jun,

I think you can still keep one spectrum for C. But that is an nmrpipe question.

https://groups.io/g/nmrpipe

Meanwhile, I will think about the nmrglue method that you can run on poky.

Best,

Woonghee

From: <nmr-s...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Jun Yang <yangj...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 10:41 AM
To: NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP <nmr-s...@googlegroups.com>

[External Email - Use Caution]So basically you suggest that I convert the nc-noesy dataset into three datasets: one has N shifts, one has correct Calpha shifts via CS but all other carbons shifts are wrong, and the third one will be the original dataset with all other carbon shifts correct but Calpha shift wrong, right?

Jun Yang

Jul 27, 2021, 1:21:36 PM7/27/21
to NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP
Hi Woonghee,

Can you give me direct instructions of how to prepare my data for the server, ie, dataset conversion and extraction like I mentioned in previous email?

Thanks.

Jun

Gabriel Cornilescu

Jul 27, 2021, 1:28:46 PM7/27/21
to Jun Yang, NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP
The purpose of the EXT would be to remove any aliased spectral region and provide the automated assignment algorithm with (complementary) spectral regions that have the correct chemical shifts in ALL dimensions. I am not sure if the algorithm uses the NOESY symmetry.
---
Gabriel Cornilescu
cornilescu.org

Lee, Woonghee

Jul 27, 2021, 1:30:44 PM7/27/21
to yangj...@gmail.com, NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP

Dear Jun,

What server? There are multiple servers associated with Poky. You mean structure calculation? Then, see below:

Click this button in the Poky main window.

From the Poky Structure Builder window:

Woonghee

--

Woonghee Lee, I.E.I.P., M.S., Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

Department of Chemistry

University of Colorado Denver

1151 Arapahoe St. (Science Bldg.) Rm 4128A

Denver, CO 80217-3364, USA

Office: +1-303-315-7672

woongh...@ucdenver.edu

https://poky.clas.ucdenver.edu

https://poky.clas.ucdenver.edu/wlee-group

https://clas.ucdenver.edu/chemistry/woonghee-lee

Shipping/Mailing Address:

Woonghee Lee

1201 5th St. UCD CHEM-194

P.O. Box 173364 (USPS)

Denver, CO 80204, USA

Jun Yang

Jul 27, 2021, 1:33:31 PM7/27/21
to NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP
Hi Gabriel,

What exactly should I use the EXT to generate desired spectral regions if you see the 2D projection of the nc-noesy data onto directly-detected proton and carbon plane?

Thanks

Jun

Jun Yang

Jul 27, 2021, 1:35:34 PM7/27/21
to NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP
Hi Woonghee,

I mean how to prepare my nc-noesy dataset exactly for the auto-assignment and structural calculation.

Jun

Gabriel Cornilescu

Jul 27, 2021, 8:27:14 PM7/27/21
to Jun Yang, NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP

Step. 1. You can use EXT to extract all the region with peaks that have the correct chemical shifts and exclude the aliased peaks. Save the spectrum.

Step. 2. Then modify the processing script to add a circular shift (CS) to make the aliased peaks have the correct chemical shifts (i.e. unalias them) and use EXT to exclude the newly aliased region (which you no longer need, since you have its peaks with correct shifts in the previously extracted spectrum from step 1).

Result: two (sub)spectra with all peaks having unaliased shifts.

Jun Yang

Jul 28, 2021, 11:49:18 AM7/28/21
to NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP
Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for the instruction. I have one more question. Because some of the aliased peaks are intertwined with the unaliased peaks, it's not easy to have a clear extraction of the region. Is it going to be a problem to have some aliased peaks in the dataset?

Bests,

Jun

Gabriel C.

Oct 18, 2022, 3:39:47 PM10/18/22
to NMR POKY/SPARKY USER GROUP
"Because some of the aliased peaks are intertwined with the unaliased peaks, it's not easy to have a clear extraction of the region." - indeed, the problem cannot be circumvented elegantly. So you need to manually delete the unwanted (aliased) peaks from each circularly shifted version of the original data. Otherwise, submitting mis-assigned peaks will negatively affect any automatic structural determination algorithm that uses these spectra (or peak shifts). If this feels too involved, you may estimate (in the future) if the resolution gain afforded by setting smaller spectral windows and deliberately alias peaks in any particular dimension is worth the later effort to manually correct the aliased peak shifts.