Raspberry Pi 5 and Ubuntu

Curt Lundgren

Feb 12, 2024, 8:35:25 AMFeb 12
to NLUG
I broke down and ordered a Pi5, along with the Pimoroni NVMe Back.  Being most comfortable with Ubuntu, I've loaded it with 23.10 desktop version for the Pi5.  I have it driving a couple of 1080P displays.  Setup was fairly straightforward, with a couple of exceptions.

1) After a period of inactivity, the displays fade to black - but they do not power down.  I can't imagine that's an intended behavior, but after extensive searching, I find no information on how to get them to power down.  The setup GUI is certainly no help.

2) The NVMe board isn't working.  I populated it with a Samsung 980 drive of 500 GB capacity.  The drive works fine in a different enclosure on another computer, but even with NVMe enabled, the Pi doesn't see it.  lsblk shows the microSD card, but not the NVMe drive.  The flex PC board that connects to the Pi is paper-thin, as Jeff Geerling has noted, but I'm sure it's properly seated in both connectors.  Pimoroni has not responded to the ticket that was filed over a week ago.

As a general comment, the Pi5 as a desktop computer is very responsive.  The PWM fan in the active cooler cycles on and off when running the desktop.  At idle, the SOC runs about 113ºF/45ºC, and when playing YouTube full screen 1080P videos it's still comfy at around 131ºF/55ºC.  Oddly, I can't get it to play 1080P MP4 videos without major stuttering.  For just about any other task, it's superb.

Does anyone have a magic wand to get those displays to power down when the computer is idle?

Thanks,
Curt

Csaba Toth

Feb 12, 2024, 10:49:21 AMFeb 12
to nlug...@googlegroups.com
What's the GUI of Pi5 (Xorg or Wayland, and is it Xfce or other lib?). It's Debian based and not I Ubuntu?

Tilghman Lesher

Feb 12, 2024, 2:43:59 PMFeb 12
to nlug...@googlegroups.com
Why wouldn't the fade to black without shutting down be the expected
behavior? It's just shutting down the displays for energy
conservation. You typically wouldn't want the Pi to shut itself down
in many applications, because so many of them run headless.
> --
> --

Tilghman

Vincent Brown

Feb 12, 2024, 3:38:00 PMFeb 12
to NLUG
I have a Raspberry Pi 5 running raspian. Overall performance has been pretty good but I haven't used it a ton.
On the NVME drive topic, I was just trying to install Linux on a friend's laptop last night. Clonezilla could detect the NVME drive but three other distros couldn't. I tried Mint, Ubuntu, and Fedora. Didn't try lsblk. Most of the posts from initial research suggested BIOS settings such as RAID, CSM, and fastboot being the most common culprits. This is an Asus (don't have the model number handy). I disabled fastboot in the BIOS and didn't see CSM settings and wouldn't expect RAID settings on a laptop. I'm also thinking if it were BIOS settings, clonezilla wouldn't see the disk either.
Wonder if it's a driver issue perhaps.

Csaba Toth

Feb 13, 2024, 6:45:49 PMFeb 13
to nlug...@googlegroups.com
I think I know what he talks about. In his case the LCD is black, but it doesn't power down, so the back light is on, even if you only see it very faintly. That can be annoying knowing it could be powered off all the way.