Cosmic Nix

Mike Slade

Mar 15, 2024, 1:56:10 PMMar 15
to NLUG
My motherboard bios upgrade went awry and blew up my PopOs/Windows dual boot setup. Not fun, but inspired me to get the main machine moved over to NixOs. And while I was at it, I was able to get System76's unreleased Cosmic desktop environment up and running as well. Cosmic is definitely in a pre-Alpha state, but I like where its heading. The look is very clean/minimal and the tiling works so much better than PopOS. There is some XWayland cruft to deal with for legacy apps with the move to Wayland, but there are workarounds. Looking forward to seeing it continue to get polished as we rapidly approach the Alpha release this spring!

screenshot-2024-03-15-02-51-29.png