[nltk-users] Re difference between ADJ and ADJ_SAT in pos?

Pedro Marcal

May 10, 2010, 1:08:54 PM5/10/10
to nltk-...@googlegroups.com
Can someone please tell me the difference between an ADJ (a) and an ADJ_SAT(s).
I get both from a syns=wn.synsets(word,wn.ADJ)
Thanks,
Pedro

Maciej Pastuszka

May 10, 2010, 4:38:47 PM5/10/10
to nltk-users
I am not an expert, but perhaps this document on WordNet might be
helpful:

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wordnet/man/wngloss.7WN.html

Pay attention to the following terms: adjective cluster, head synset,
satellite synset.

You might also be interested in running the following code:

from nltk.corpus import wordnet as wn
for i in wn.synsets('happy', wn.ADJ):
print "Processing synset: ", i
for j in i.lemmas:
print "\tProcessing lemma: ", j
for k in j.antonyms():
print "\t\tFound antonym: ", k

You will realise that the lemmas in satellite adjective synsets do not
have antonyms.

I suppose that somebody with more expertise could shed more light on
the subject.

Pedro Marcal

May 10, 2010, 8:14:08 PM5/10/10
to nltk-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Maciej. You have told me all I need to know. Right now I don't need the distiction.
Regards,
Pedro