Where to start?

Catarina Runa

Nov 3, 2021, 2:15:27 AM11/3/21
to nltk-users
Hi all,

I would like to process and analyze some text that is annotated and inputted by users, and look for any cognitive biases that can perhaps be revealed in them.

I downloaded and installed NLTK and I can see that there are chunkers and sentiment detectors and taggers and stemmers and tokenizers, etc...

Where do I start? Is there a simple point of entry for absolute beginners, so they can choose which one of these operations would be right for them?

I have looked around and, for instance, on the wiki (https://github.com/nltk/nltk/wiki) the link to "Natural Language Processing with Python, by Steven Bird, Ewan Klein, and Edward Loper" does not work. There are mentioned project codes, but their names do not show what the purpose would be.

Where do I start with a tutorial that shows basics of language processing, and then move on to maybe sentiment analysis, etc...? Is there a hands-on guide introducing the basic concepts with little examples of each, so I can figure out what might suit my purpose?

thanks in advance,

Felipe Dutra

Nov 16, 2021, 3:32:51 PM11/16/21
to nltk-users
you could try some youtube videos / tutorials. It has being a great tool for me to learn about any lib. Reading the documentation is also great.

Bryan Finlayson

Nov 25, 2021, 10:19:32 AM11/25/21
to nltk-users
I would suggest checking out the NLTK Book, found at https://www.nltk.org/book/.