NLTK 3.5b1 Released

Steven Bird

Mar 7, 2020, 7:55:45 PM3/7/20
to nltk-dev

NLTK 3.5b1 is now available from:

NLTK 3.5 supports Python 3.8, and drops support for Python 2.

Special thanks to alvations, pyfisch, and srhrshr.

-Steven Bird

Ilia Kurenkov

Mar 10, 2020, 3:20:12 PM3/10/20
to nltk-dev
This seems like the first beta or pre-release for NLTK. I checked the wiki and the readme and didn't find anything that would describe what this means in terms of the release cycle. For comparison, here's what CPython devs say about their releases: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0602/

That page makes it look like the alpha/beta releases for CPython are simply checkpoints determined by the schedule which enforces the cycle.
Is NLTK shifting to cyclic regular releases too?

Steven Bird

Mar 10, 2020, 4:53:46 PM3/10/20
to nltk-dev
No change to our practice. There are so many changes in 3.5 I thought it wise to put out a beta first. We've done this in the past on occasion as well.

If someone would like to adopt a new release practice for NLTK I would be happy to support them to do it. We could certainly have more regular releases.

-Steven