IRC Meeting (#freedesktop@Freenode) tomorrow Friday, 14Jul06, 20:00 GMT: Fonts; choosing fonts; fonts.conf; fontconfig

Simos Xenitellis

Jul 13, 2006, 3:49:28 PM7/13/06
Dear All,

I would like to announce an IRC meeting that will take place tomorrow
Friday, 14th July 2006, at 20:00 GMT, at #freedesktop on Freenode (IRC).

To find the exact local time for your country, see
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2006&month=7&day=14&hour=20&min=0&sec=0
For example, if you are in Paris, the meeting is on Friday at 10:00pm.
If you are in Asia/Australia, it will probably be inconvenient. Please
mail me about it. If there is enough interest (>5 e-mails), we can
arrange a repeat meeting. Tell me what time is suitable for you. This is
particularly important for Indic/CJK/etc font issues.

The expected duration is 1 hour. Based on interest and support, we may
arrange extra sessions.

The agenda includes:
1. discussion on basic issues on fonts; font licenses;
2. building a list of 'desirable' FLOSS fonts for each language/script;
tell us your preference; promote your preference
3. build an 'optimal' fonts.conf file (+ suggest
snippets for fonts.d/); LSB common font repository
4. discuss the proposed fontconfig patch for granular font selection,
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/fontconfig/2006-June/002332.html
5. discuss on writing a patch for fontconfig to disregard glyphs from
fonts in a very low level (as if the font did not have those glyphs in
the first place)

The webpage of this discussion is at
http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fFonts_2fConfiguration

The discussion (irclog) will be saved at the above URL as well.

Extra reading
1. Call to test the DejaVu fonts
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fonts/DejavuFeedbackCall
2. The Open Font License (OFL) by SIL International
http://scripts.sil.org/OFL
3. Fonts page on the Freedesktop Wiki
http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fFonts
4. OpenFonts page on the Ubuntu Wiki
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OpenFonts
5. Fonts management
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FontManagement
6. Font issues across distros
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fonts/FontMusings
7. Enhancing pango/fontconfig to help solve font issues
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=18518811
8. re: fontconfig support to exclude glyphs from fonts
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/fontconfig/2006-June/002332.html
9. Open source casts new mold for type design (recent font article)
http://news.com.com/2102-7344_3-6092398.html?tag=st.util.print

A similar IRC meeting took place last week, on input methods and
multilingual writing support in Xorg; the discussion is available at
http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/KeyboardInputDiscussion

Please forward this announcement where you feel appropriate.

Hope to see you tomorrow,
Simos

--
Linux-UTF8: i18n of Linux on all levels
Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-utf8/

Arne Götje (高盛華)

Jul 14, 2006, 2:41:42 PM7/14/06
On Friday 14 July 2006 03:49, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I would like to announce an IRC meeting that will take place tomorrow
> Friday, 14th July 2006, at 20:00 GMT, at #freedesktop on Freenode
> (IRC).
>
> To find the exact local time for your country, see
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2006&month=
>7&day=14&hour=20&min=0&sec=0 For example, if you are in Paris, the

> meeting is on Friday at 10:00pm. If you are in Asia/Australia, it
> will probably be inconvenient. Please mail me about it. If there is
> enough interest (>5 e-mails), we can arrange a repeat meeting. Tell
> me what time is suitable for you. This is particularly important for
> Indic/CJK/etc font issues.

Ok, now that's 4:00 am Taiwan time... no way!!! So, I will read the IRC
log, but if any questions about CJK fonts or my CJKUnifonts (also on
freedesktop.org) project arise, please either mail me directly, or
reschedule an 'Asian folks meeting' in a more convenient time for Asian
users... (e.g. 14:00 GMT, that would be 0:00 for AUS users but earlier
for CJK and Indic users).

Cheers
Arne

--
Arne Götje (高盛華) <ar...@linux.org.tw>
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/685D1E8C

Simos Xenitellis

Jul 15, 2006, 3:01:52 PM7/15/06
Dear All,

The IRC session took place yesterday and the IRC log is available at
http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fFonts_2fConfiguration

At the end of the page there is a summary that is being built; feel free
to help out summarising the session and extracting actions to do.

There was interest to have more regular font meetings, such as an IRC
channel dedicated to issues related to fonts. We are looking into
getting #fonts on Freenode. If you can help out with this (it's already
registered), it will be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for taking part,
Simos

Στις 13-07-2006, ημέρα Πεμ, και ώρα 20:49 +0100, ο/η Simos Xenitellis
έγραψε: