udev example

Dinesh

Nov 20, 2006, 3:40:16 PM11/20/06
Hello,

Is there a simple module that creates /dev entries upon boot using udev
instead of devfs? It should use class_simple_create/destroy/device_add
functions.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Dinesh

Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/

Greg KH

Nov 21, 2006, 2:41:33 AM11/21/06
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 02:40:16PM -0600, Dinesh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a simple module that creates /dev entries upon boot using udev
> instead of devfs? It should use class_simple_create/destroy/device_add
> functions.

Have you merely grepped the kernel source for examples? There are lots
of them out there...

Oh, and there is no class_simple_* functions anymore, sorry.

thanks,

greg k-h

Dinesh

Nov 21, 2006, 10:36:24 AM11/21/06
Thanks Greg,

So, you mean, Linux Device Drivers 3rd edition notes on udev (pages
403-405) is not of much use?

Thanks for your reply.

Dinesh

Greg KH

Nov 21, 2006, 5:34:00 PM11/21/06
A: No.

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 09:36:24AM -0600, Dinesh wrote:
> Thanks Greg,
>
> So, you mean, Linux Device Drivers 3rd edition notes on udev (pages
> 403-405) is not of much use?

Yes, LDD3 is out of date in this area, but the concepts remain the same,
only the functions called have changed. Much like the majority of that
book, use it for the concepts and ideas, as much of the specific
functions used are no longer correct.