kobject_uevent() question

Mauricio Lin

Nov 22, 2006, 1:42:04 PM11/22/06
Hi all,

I have implemented a module time ago that used kobject_uevent()
function to send a signal to userspace.

Recently I tried to recompile the module based on the kernel 2.6.19-rc
and I noticed that kobject_uevent() has its number of arguments changed
from 3 to 2.

Afterward I figure out that such change was applied on kernel
2.6.16-rc1.

The old function was removed:
-int kobject_uevent(struct kobject *kobj, enum kobject_action action,
- struct attribute *attr)

and the kobject_hotplug() name was replaced by kobject_uevent():
-void kobject_hotplug(struct kobject *kobj, enum kobject_action action)
+void kobject_uevent(struct kobject *kobj, enum kobject_action action)

So is there any new function that works the same or similar way as
kobject_uevent() before 2.6.16-rc1 version?

BR,

Mauricio Lin.

Yahoo! Acesso Grátis - Internet rápida e grátis. Instale
o discador agora!
http://br.acesso.yahoo.com

Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/

Greg KH

Nov 24, 2006, 3:23:02 AM11/24/06
On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 03:42:04PM -0300, Mauricio Lin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have implemented a module time ago that used kobject_uevent()
> function to send a signal to userspace.
>
> Recently I tried to recompile the module based on the kernel 2.6.19-rc
> and I noticed that kobject_uevent() has its number of arguments changed
> from 3 to 2.
>
> Afterward I figure out that such change was applied on kernel
> 2.6.16-rc1.
>
> The old function was removed:
> -int kobject_uevent(struct kobject *kobj, enum kobject_action action,
> - struct attribute *attr)
>
> and the kobject_hotplug() name was replaced by kobject_uevent():
> -void kobject_hotplug(struct kobject *kobj, enum kobject_action action)
> +void kobject_uevent(struct kobject *kobj, enum kobject_action action)
>
> So is there any new function that works the same or similar way as
> kobject_uevent() before 2.6.16-rc1 version?

What do you want to do with that kobject_uevent() function? Almost all
of the functionality is still there, with the exception that you don't
provide the attribute anymore.

But, you can now poll an attribute from userspace properly, so you might
just look into doing that instead (you need to change your kernel code a
bit to use it though.)

thanks,

greg k-h