BKL in ioctl

1 view

Nilanjan Roychowdhury

Nov 21, 2006, 12:41:45 AM11/21/06
I have some compute intensive stuff to do inside an ioctl. But when I
try to do that I see it affects the preemption of the kernel as the big
kernel lock is held during the ioctl. Is there any good way to get rid
of that?? I am planning to do an unlock while entering my ioctl and then
lock it again before exiting. Is there any issues ??
-Nilanjan

Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/

Greg KH

Nov 21, 2006, 1:02:44 AM11/21/06
On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 11:11:45AM +0530, Nilanjan Roychowdhury wrote:
> I have some compute intensive stuff to do inside an ioctl. But when I
> try to do that I see it affects the preemption of the kernel as the big
> kernel lock is held during the ioctl. Is there any good way to get rid
> of that?? I am planning to do an unlock while entering my ioctl and then
> lock it again before exiting. Is there any issues ??

Use unlocked_ioctl instead of ioctl. That will not be locked, and
you can do your own fine-grained locking if needed.

good luck,

greg k-h