Fwd: From PTSD to PTG: Going from trauma to growth

Larry

Jun 23, 2022, 2:25:56 PM6/23/22
to nj-fire...@googlegroups.com

-----Original Message-----
From: FirstNet <Firs...@your.firstnet-mail.com>
To: wood...@aol.com
Sent: Thu, Jun 23, 2022 12:32 pm
Subject: From PTSD to PTG: Going from trauma to growth

"Life-changing" training helping officers grow from trauma in policing
FirstNet Newsletter
June 2022
RESPONDER WELLNESS
Police officer on his smartphone
Changing the dialogue from traumatic stress to post-traumatic growth
"Our nation's first responders are struggling mightily. This was true before COVID‑19. But in the aftermath of non-stop service, illness and hardship, they're battling a range of mental health issues," writes Josh Goldberg, executive director of the Boulder Crest Institute. Read why the institute teamed up with FirstNet as he details how struggle and trauma can be catalysts for growth and transformation for first responders.
Learn more
STRUGGLE WELL: A SERIES
Police officers in a team meeting
An approach to mental wellness in law enforcement
When the Boulder Crest Foundation brought the Struggle Well pilot training program to law enforcement agencies in Florida's Miami-Dade County, it also brought hope. Hope that it would help officers across all ranks learn to deal with their unique stressors and improve their mental health – and thus, help them be better officers. Watch to learn more in Part 1.
Watch Video
Police officer looking through his vehicle windshield
Bringing the struggle to the surface
As officers went through the Boulder Crest Struggle Well training, they were able to talk with their peers about things they'd never discussed before. The training showed them how deeply buried traumas affected their family relationships, their work lives and their coping mechanisms. Watch to learn more in Part 2.
Watch Video
Two female police officers talking to one another
On the path to wellness
Struggle Well training helped officers reflect more deeply on the personal and work issues they face every day and taught them ways to cope with those stressors in a healthy way. Watch to learn more in Part 3.
Watch Video
FACING THE STRUGGLE
Chief Landa of the South Miami Police Department
Chief Landa: No. 1 priority is to ensure officers can go home to their families
"When you have an officer that is in a good place with their family and everything else – and they're just passionate about the job – that's the type of officer who's going out into the community to assist others who are struggling. So is it gonna help the community? Absolutely," says Chief Rene Landa of the South Miami Police Department, of Struggle Well training.
Learn more
Deborah Martineau, Neighborhood Resource Officer of the Miami Beach Police Department
Mental health is vital for longevity, success, says neighborhood officer
"Balancing mental health is extremely important because you want to make sure you're good. How can you help someone if you're not good? If you're going through something, make sure you recognize that and reach out to the resources that can help you," says Deborah Martineau, Neighborhood Resource Officer with the Miami Beach Police Department.
Learn more
First responder standing outside his emergency vehicle
Program evokes rollercoaster of emotions, coping skills for sergeant
"One of the things that I do at roll call every morning is make sure that I make everybody laugh before we go out on the road. You don't know what's going to happen that day. You don't know if it's the last time you're going to see that person. So I want to make sure everybody leaves with a smile on their face," says Sgt. Orestes "Tico" Guas, of the City of Miami Police Department. "I learned that through Struggle Well."
Learn more
First Responders - Connect your way and save
Check out the latest promotions for individual users.
See offers
INNOVATOR OF THE MONTH
EKG Machine screen
eMedical Sentry, providing digital AI remote patient optimization technology
This month's Innovator of the Month is eMedical Sentry, which provides digital AI remote patient optimization technology. Check out how this technology provides benefits to hospitals, physicians.
Learn more
Agency Admins, get the training on digital tools you need
Learn how to manage your products and services with free courses that show you how to navigate the tools you need, including Uplift and FirstNet Central. Register today for our instructor‑led training courses available to you and your colleagues.
Register today
Agency Admins - Get your team the gear they need
Check out the latest promotions for agency paid users.
See offers
View in your browser
Facebook LinkedIn Twitter YouTube
Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe or manage subscription
This is a FirstNet promotional email.
FirstNet.com
DO NOT REPLY
FirstNet services and FirstNet customer care are provided by AT&T.
AT&T 208 South Akard Street, Dallas, TX 75202
©2022 AT&T Intellectual Property.
FirstNet and the FirstNet logo are registered trademarks of the First Responder Network Authority. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.