Using under Vista

Sergey Parfenyuk

Apr 1, 2009, 5:46:29 PM4/1/09
to nixysa-users
Hi,
I've tried to build sample from source code but faced with some
problems. I'm not an expert in bat files and in Python. But the fact
is that Windows Vista doesn't recognize slashes in path string (error
occurs during scons running). So I replaced them with backslashes and
then I had a fun from success :) Next, I think codegen.bat is likely
wrong written:

if not "%PYTHON"=="" goto :RUN
PYTHON=python.exe

Perhaps, it should be:

if not "%PYTHON%"=="" goto :RUN
set PYTHON=python.exe

No? :)

And, unfortunately, python haven't generate any file to end the
building of sample code. It return message: "Source files haven't
changed: nothing to generate". What reason of this situation?

Thanks for attention.

Antoine Labour

Apr 2, 2009, 2:51:37 PM4/2/09
to nixysa...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Sergey Parfenyuk <myseve...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've tried to build sample from source code but faced with some
> problems. I'm not an expert in bat files and in Python. But the fact
> is that Windows Vista doesn't recognize slashes in path string (error
> occurs during scons running). So I replaced them with backslashes and
> then I had a fun from success :) Next, I think codegen.bat is likely
> wrong written:
>
> if not "%PYTHON"=="" goto :RUN
> PYTHON=python.exe
>
> Perhaps, it should be:
>
> if not "%PYTHON%"=="" goto :RUN
> set PYTHON=python.exe
>
> No? :)

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for trying this. I will look at fixing some of the
windows-related bugs. The .bat change is reasonable. For the '/' vs
'\' in the scons files, I'm a bit surprised, because scons is supposed
to deal with the difference. Which version of scons are you using ?

> And, unfortunately, python haven't generate any file to end the
> building of sample code. It return message: "Source files haven't
> changed: nothing to generate". What reason of this situation?

The program keeps a hash of all the inputs, so that it doesn't
regenerate the output files if the input haven't changed. It keeps the
hash into the glue/hash file (inside the examples directory). Maybe
one of the runs produced the hash but not the files ? If you
completely delete the glue/ directory, it should work again.

Thanks,
Antoine

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Sergey Parfenyuk

Apr 2, 2009, 3:47:09 PM4/2/09
to nixysa...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 9:51 PM, Antoine Labour <pi...@google.com> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Sergey Parfenyuk <myseve...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've tried to build sample from source code but faced with some
> problems. I'm not an expert in bat files and in Python. But the fact
> is that Windows Vista doesn't recognize slashes in path string (error
> occurs during scons running). So I replaced them with backslashes and
> then I had a fun from success :) Next, I think codegen.bat is likely
> wrong written:
>
> if not "%PYTHON"=="" goto :RUN
> PYTHON=python.exe
>
> Perhaps, it should be:
>
> if not "%PYTHON%"=="" goto :RUN
> set PYTHON=python.exe
>
> No? :)

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for trying this. I will look at fixing some of the
windows-related bugs. The .bat change is reasonable. For the '/' vs
'\' in the scons files, I'm a bit surprised, because scons is supposed
to deal with the difference. Which version of scons are you using ?

I use the latest version of scons - 1.2.0.

> And, unfortunately, python haven't generate any file to end the
> building of sample code. It return message: "Source files haven't
> changed: nothing to generate". What reason of this situation?

The program keeps a hash of all the inputs, so that it doesn't
regenerate the output files if the input haven't changed. It keeps the
hash into the glue/hash file (inside the examples directory). Maybe
one of the runs produced the hash but not the files ? If you
completely delete the glue/ directory, it should work again.

I think script has problems with this because it doesn't generate any file. Only 'glue' directory and nothing else. Deleting of this directory doesn't help.

Antoine Labour

Apr 2, 2009, 4:10:56 PM4/2/09
to nixysa...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Sergey Parfenyuk
Alright, I will try all this. Thanks !

Antoine

Antoine Labour

Apr 3, 2009, 3:17:26 AM4/3/09
to nixysa...@googlegroups.com
I submitted a CL for review, this should be fixed soon.
I created a Visual Studio solution and project that should be easier
to use than scons on Windows.

Sergey Parfenyuk

Apr 3, 2009, 2:45:39 PM4/3/09
to nixysa...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Antoine Labour <pi...@google.com> wrote:

I submitted a CL for review, this should be fixed soon.
I created a Visual Studio solution and project that should be easier
to use than scons on Windows.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Windows shows its buggy face again :) Please, correct post-build command lines as follows:

xcopy $(OutDir)\$(TargetFileName) "%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Plugins\" /Y /I /F
xcopy $(OutDir)\$(TargetName).pdb "%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Plugins\" /Y /I /F

If you haven't noticed, I added backslashes to destination directory. Otherwise it asks me about target dir despite the fact that /i parameter is set. I cannot understand why.

Suprisingly it works! Finally I've saw it in action :) Thanks!
--
С уважением,
Парфенюк Сергей

Antoine Labour

Apr 3, 2009, 2:55:16 PM4/3/09
to nixysa...@googlegroups.com
Great ! Good to know for the final \ (it worked for me on XP, but
possibly XP is different), I'll add that to the CL.

Thanks,
Antoine