nixCraft Linux tips & tricks Newsletter, Jan-01-2017

nixCraft

Jan 5, 2018, 1:41:13 PM1/5/18
to nixc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

** TUTORIALS AND HOWTOS FROM NIXCRAFT

* Linux/Unix desktop fun: Simulates the display from “The Matrix” (https://www.cyberciti.biz/open-source/command-line-hacks/matrix-digital-rain-on-linux-macos-unix-terminal/)  - The Matrix is a science fiction action movie from 1999. It was written and directed by the Wachowski Brothers. The film has falling green characters on screen. The digital rain is representing the activity of the virtual reality in “The Matrix.” You can now have Matrix digital rain with CMatrix on a Linux or Unix terminal too.

* Ubuntu 17.10 no longer available for download due to LENOVO bios getting corrupted (https://www.cyberciti.biz/linux-news/ubuntu-17-10-no-longer-available-for-download-due-to-lenovo-bios-getting-corrupted/)  - Lenovo is a Chinese multinational technology company that is well known for LENOVO laptops, desktops and other IT equipment. The download of Ubuntu Linux 17.10 is currently discouraged due to an issue on specific Lenovo laptop models that are causing BIOS corruption or laptop bricking.

* Howto patch Spectre Vulnerability CVE-2017-5753/CVE-2017-5715 on Linux (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/patch-spectre-vulnerability-cve-2017-5753-cve-2017-5715-linux/)  - A very serious security problem has been found in the Intel/AMD/ARM CPUs. Spectre CPU Vulnerability CVE-2017-5753/CVE-2017-5715 breaks the isolation between different applications. It allows an attacker to trick error-free programs, which follow best practices, into leaking their secrets. In fact, the safety checks of said best practices actually increase the attack surface and may make applications more susceptible to Spectre. Patch your Linux system ASAP.

* How to patch Meltdown CPU Vulnerability CVE-2017-5754 on Linux (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/patch-meltdown-cpu-vulnerability-cve-2017-5754-linux/)  - A
very serious security problem has been found in the Intel CPUs. Meltdown CPU Vulnerability CVE-2017-5754 breaks the most fundamental isolation between user applications and the operating system. This attack allows a program to access the memory, and thus also the secrets, of other programs and the operating system. Patch your server ASAP

* yum find out path where is package installed to on CentOS/RHEL (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/yum-determining-finding-path-that-yum-package-installed-to/)  - I have install htop package on a CentOS/RHEL (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/centos-redhat-linux-install-htop-command-using-yum/) . I wanted find out where and at what path htop package installed all files. Is there an easy way to tell yum where is package installed on a CentOS/RHEL?

* Turn off color in Linux terminal/bash session (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/turn-off-color-in-linux-terminal-bash-session/)  - Learn how to turn off colorful bash prompt, ls/grep/egrep colorful output and other settings are the CLI.

* How to check list of users in Unix (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/check-list-users-unix/)  - I am a new Unix system user. How can I view system users in Unix operating system using the command line option?

* How to exclude file when using scp command recursively (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/scp-exclude-files-when-using-command-recursively-on-unix-linux/)  - How do I tell scp command to exclude particular file or directory at the Linux/Unix command line?

* How to add ssh key to qcow2 Linux cloud images using virt-sysprep (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-add-ssh-public-key-to-qcow2-linux-cloud-images-using-virt-sysprep/)  - I have installed and setup KVM server on an Ubuntu Linux. I downloaded various .qcow2 cloud images. How do I setup public ssh keys for downloaded CentOS/FreeBSD/Ubuntu cloud images using virt-sysprep?

* Unix command to find a file in a directory and subdirectory (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/unix-command-to-find-a-file-in-a-directory-and-subdirectory/)  - I think I lost (or forgot the file location) a file named toms-first-birthday.mp4 on my Unix based system. Is there is a Unix bash shell command to find a file called “toms-first-birthday.mp4” in a directory and subdirectories?

** MORE HOWTO FROM OUR FAQ SECTION:

* How to enable and start services on Alpine Linux (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-enable-and-start-services-on-alpine-linux/)

* How to configure wireless wake-on-lan for Linux WiFi card (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/configure-wireless-wake-on-lan-for-linux-wifi-wowlan-card/)

* How to flush Redis cache and delete everything using the CLI (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-flush-redis-cache-and-delete-everything-using-the-cli/)