nixCraft Linux & Unix - Newsletter 18/Sep/2019

nixCraft

Sep 18, 2019, 1:19:08 PM9/18/19
to nixc...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to nixCraft Linux/Unix newsletter for Wednesday, 18 September 2019. I hope you will enjoy this version of the newsletter.

  • CentOS Linux 7.7 released and here is how to update it
    The CentOS Linux project has released an updated version of its stable Linux distribution CentOS Linux 7.7. You must upgrade to get corrections for security problem as this version made a few adjustments for the severe issue found in CentOS 7.6.

  • Linux Kernel 5.3 released and here is how to install it
    Linux kernel version 5.3 released. This version includes many improvements including support for AMD Navi GPU, support for new IPv4 addresses in the 0.0.0.0/8 range, the lightweight hypervisor ACRN for embedded IoT devices and much more.

  • In comics: Linux celebrates 28th birthday
    On 26 August 1991, Linus Torvalds announced hobby project that was supposed to better than Minix operating systems. He said I am doing a free operating system. Just a hobby and won’t be big or professional like GNU. Linux turns 28 years old, and we are going to celebrate Linux’s birthday by sharing comics in pop culture that made it even more popular.

  • Dell announces new Linux XPS 13 developer edition 7390 laptop
    Dell recently announced the new XPS 13 developer edition powered by Ubuntu Linux and Intel’s 10th generation Comet Lake CPUs. The new device will soon be available in the US, Canada, and European markets. It is good news for both developers and Linux enthusiast who wants Linux laptop with preloaded Ubuntu operating systems. Let us see new Linux XPS 13 developer edition specs and other information.

  • Use oathtool Linux command line for 2 step verification (2FA)
    I do not wish to use Google Authenticator or Authy app that generates 2 step verification (2FA) codes on my iOS/Android phone. Is there any way I can produce 2FA codes from Linux command line for popular sites such as Gmail, Twitter, Facebook, Amazon and more?

  • How to install Spotify application on Linux
    How do I install Spotify application on Linux desktop to stream music?

  • BASH Fix Display and Console Garbage and Gibberish on a Linux / Unix / macOS
    Sometimes my R & D result in the weird output on the screen. For example, accidentally I run cat command over binary file – cat /sbin/*. You will be not able to access your bash/ksh/zsh based terminal. It will be full of wired character sequences that can lock down your display. These characters will hide what you type or character displayed into strange symbols. To clear gibberish all over the screen use the following method.

  • Explain: {,} in cp or mv Bash Shell Commands
    I often see commands as follows posted on blog or forums cp /etc/httpd/httpd.{,.bakup} OR mv resume{z,}.doc. What is the purpose of {,} in Linux and Unix shell commands?

  • FreeBSD Display Information About The System Hardware
    FreeBSD comes with different utilities, which can be used to gather the information as per your needs. The uname command is used to print system information, and dmesg command is used to print kernel ring buffer information. The sysctl command is use to configure kernel parameters at runtime as well as to read hardware information. Let us see all commands that can display hardware information on the FreeBSD server or desktop.

  • How to use yum-cron to automatically update RHEL/CentOS Linux
    The yum command line tool is used to install and update software packages under RHEL / CentOS Linux server. I know how to apply updates using yum update command line, but I would like to use cron to update packages where appropriate manually. How do I configure yum to install software patches/updates automatically with cron?

  • Ubuntu Linux Add a User To Group www-data ( Apache Group )
    How do I add a user to the Apache group called www-data under Ubuntu or Debian Linux server operating systems using the command line option?

  • How to Install and Configure latest version of Ansible on Ubuntu Linux
    I am a new Ubuntu Linux user. How do I install Ansible on a Ubuntu Linux 16.04/18.04 LTS or 17.10/18.10 desktop control machine?

  • Linux Find If Processor (CPU) is 64 bit / 32 bit [long mode ~ lm]
    I am a new Linux system user. How do I determine if my CPU is 64bit or not on a Linux operating systems using command line option? How can I check Linux kernel is in 32 bit or 64 bit mode?

  • How to add bash auto completion in RHEL 8 (Red Hat Linux)
    I set up a new RHEL 8 VM from cloud images, but my auto-completion of bash shell commands are not working. How do I enable autocomplete feature in RHEL 8 (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8)? How do I write simple bash completion code in RHEL 8?

Until next time.