nixCraft Linux & Unix Sysadmin/DevOps Tutorial Newsletter

nixCraft

Jan 15, 2020, 12:24:40 PM1/15/20
to nixc...@googlegroups.com

Welcome to nixCraft Linux/Unix newsletter for Wednesday, 15 January 2020. I hope you will enjoy this version of the newsletter.

  • CentOS Linux 8.1 (1911) released and here is how to upgrade it
    CentOS Linux 8.1 (1191) released. It is a Linux distribution derived from RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) 8.1 source code. Let us see what’s new in CentOS 8.1 (1911) and how to upgrade existing CentOS 8.0.1905 server to 8.1.1911 using the command line.

  • Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition 2020 Ubuntu Laptop Announced {trending}
    Look like Dell listing to customer feedback. Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition is the ultimate Linux laptop for developers and Linux enthusiasts/power users. The Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition 2020 now supports 10th Gen Intel CPU and 32GB ram. This system comes pre-installed with Ubuntu Linux 18.04, but you can install any other distro.

  • Helios64 Arm-Based Linux NAS announced
    Helios64 is an upgraded version Helios4 of ARM-based NAS SBC (Single-board computer) for Linux. This NAS (Network Attached Storage) comes with 5 SATA 3.0 port, M.2 sata slot, LPDDR 4 ram, and hexacore SoC. Let us see some details about the Helios64 Arm-Based Linux NAS SBC, including pricing and hardware specs information.

  • Kubuntu Linux Focus Laptop Announced {trending}
    Kubuntu is a free and open-source version based upon Ubuntu Linux. Kubuntu flavor uses KDE instead of GNOME desktop. Now, the Kubuntu project announced the first authorized laptop called Kubuntu Focus in collaboration with MindShareManagement Inc, and Tuxedo Computers. Let us see technical specs and other information.

  • Remove Santa Hat in VLC Player Permanently {trending}
    How do I remove Santa Hat in VLC media player that displayed during Christmas time during 18th December to 1st January?

  • How do I count how many processes are running in Linux?
    How do I see how many processes are running in Linux? How can count all running processes in Linux?

  • How to configure Nginx with Let’s Encrypt on CentOS 8 {trending}
    How do I secure my Nginx web server with Let’s Encrypt free ssl certificate on my CentOS 8 server? How to set up and configure Nginx with Let’s Encrypt on CentOS 8?

  • How to use/run bash aliases over ssh based session
    How do I run bash shell aliases when I use ssh command?

  • Linux rpm List Installed Packages Command
    How do I list all installed packages using rpm command on CentOS/Suse/Fedora/RHEL/Scientific and Red Hat Enterprise Linux? Can you tell me the Linux command to list all rpm’s installed on the server?

  • Linux Find Out Maximum RAM Supported By Server / BIOS {trending}
    How do I find out the maximum RAM supported by the Dell, HP, IBM, Oracle/Sun or Intel/AMD server on a Linux or Unix-like operating systems without rebooting the server or opening the server case (chassis)? How can I find find out maximum RAM supported by the Server BIOS and motherboard in Linux?

  • BASH Shell Test If a File Is Writable or Not
    How can you test if a file is writable under UNIX / Linux bash shell scripting and programming language?

  • Linux exit from lxc-console keyboard shortcut
    I am using Debian Linux server with Linux Containers (lxc). How do I disconnect and exit from an lxc-console to a shell prompt without closing ssh session?

  • Ubuntu Linux Change Hostname (computer name)
    I am a new Ubuntu Linux laptop user. I setup my computer name to ‘tom’ during installation but now I would like to change the computer name to ‘jerry’. Can you tell me how do I remove tom and set it to jerry on Ubuntu Linux? How do I change the Ubuntu computer name from ‘ubuntu’ to ‘AvlinStar’? Can you tell me more about Ubuntu Linux change hostname command?

  • How to upgrade Alpine Linux 3.10 to 3.11
    I am using Alpine Linux v3.9 or v3.10 with my LXD server. How do I upgrade Alpine Linux v3.9 to Alpine Linux v3.11? How can I upgrade Alpine Linux v3.10 to Alpine Linux v3.11?

  • Remove grep command while grepping using ps command {trending}
    I use ps command to find out all running process on my Linux and Unix system. The ps command shows information about a selection of the active processes on shell. You may also pipe out ps command output through grep command to pick up desired output.

  • Grep From Files and Display the File Name On Linux or Unix System
    How do I grep from a number of files and display the file name only? How do I force the grep command to display the filename before the matching lines in its output?

  • Python Get Today’s Current Date and Time
    How do I find out the current date and time in Python? What is the module or function I need to use to get current time or date in Python programming language? How can I get today’s date and current date and time in Python in different formats using strftime() method?

  • Gracefully Restart Nginx Web Server After Changes Made In a Config File
    I know how to gracefully restart Apache web server under Unix like operating system. I made changes to nginx.conf. How do I gracefully restart Nginx web server? How do I make changes in a Nginx server config file to take effect without restarting the Nginx server itself without interrupting users’ current session?

Until next time.