nixCraft Linux & Unix - Newsletter 27/Aug/2018

nixCraft

Aug 27, 2018, 4:16:11 PM8/27/18
to nixc...@googlegroups.com

Hi ,

Welcome to nixCraft Linux/Unix newsletter for Monday, 27 Auguest 2018. I hope you will enjoy this version of the newsletter.

Tutorials and Howtos from nixCraft

  • 6 Github alternatives that are open source and self-hosted - Git is a version control system. Linus Torvalds created Git in 2005 for development of the Linux kernel. Git is mainly used for software source code management. However, it can be used to keep track of any set of files such as HTML or CSS or a tutorial written in the markup language. Git is a Distributed Version Control Systems. A dedicated Git server helps to manage access control, show contents of a Git repository via the web and manage multiple repositories. In a Git, clients do not just check out the latest snapshots of the files. They entirely mirror the repository including history.

  • Secure Nginx with Let’s Encrypt on Ubuntu 18.04 with DNS Validation - How do I install and secure Nginx with Let’s Encrypt on Ubuntu 18.04 with DNS validation API? My domain DNS hosted with Cloudflare. How do I install Let’s Encrypt to create SSL certificates with Nginx web server running on an Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS server?

  • Install and Configure Nginx on Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS - Iam a new Ubuntu Linux user and a web developer by profession. How do I install and configure Nginx on Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS?

  • How to compile and install Linux Kernel 4.18.5 from source code - This step by step howto covers compiling Linux kernel version 4.18.xx under an Ubuntu or Debian Linux. The following instructions successfully tested on an RHEL 7/CentOS 7 (and clones), Debian Linux, Ubuntu Linux and Fedora Linux 28. However, instructions remain the same for any other Linux distribution.

  • Linux dd Command Show Progress Copy Bar With Status - I am using dd command for block level copy and just found out that there’s no built in way to check the progress. How do I use the Linux or Unix dd command while coping /dev/sda to /deb/sdb and display a progress bar when data goes through a pipe? How do I monitor the progress of dd on Linux?

  • How to install htop on macOS Unix desktop running on MacBook Pro - I like htop on my Ubuntu server. The man page says it is a free (GPL) ncurses-based process viewer for Linux. Can I install htop on macOS Unix desktop? How do I install htop on macOS sierra based MacBook pro?

  • diff Command Colorize Output On the Unix / Linux Command Line - colordiff is a wrapper for diff and produces the same output as diff but with coloured syntax highlighting at the command line to improve readability. colordiff has been tested on various flavours of Linux and under OpenBSD, but should be broadly portable to other systems.

  • Install IPTraf on a CentOS / RHEL / Fedora Linux To Get Network Statistics - IPTraf is a console-based network monitoring utility. IPTraf gathers data like TCP connection packet and byte counts, interface statistics and activity indicators, TCP/UDP traffic breakdowns, and LAN station packet and byte counts. iptraf-ng is a fork of iptraf.

  • Bash Shell Find Out If a Variable Is Empty Or Not - My shell script depends upon user input. How do I find out if a variable called $_JAIL path is empty under a Linux / Apple OS X / Unix like operating systems? Can you tell me command on bash shell to find out if a variable is empty?

  • Linux Find Out Video Card GPU Memory RAM Size Using Command Line - I have a quick question for you, Vivek: I’m trying to find out my NVDIA display card memory size on Fedora Linux. How do I find out my VIDEO Card (VGA) Memory size on Linux?

  • Linux Find Files By Date And List Files Modified On a Specific Date - How do I find files by date under UNIX and Linux system? How search for files that created on a specific date on Linux or Unix-like system? How to get a list all files that have been modified on a specific date on Linux or Unix?

  • Create a Bootable Windows 10 USB in Linux With Ubuntu/Debian GUI - I am a Linux user and sysadmin. However, I need to install a couple of Windows 10 enterprise or MS-Windows 10 LTSB on a desktop system for developers. How do I create a bootable Windows 10 USB in Linux with GUI tools on an Ubuntu Linux 18.04 or Debian Linux 9.x?

  • How to remotely access Intel AMT KVM from Linux desktop - I have enabled Intel AMT/ME in my Xeon server grade CPU hosted in remote data center building for OOB purpose. I do not want to use Windows 10 Pro edition. Is it possible to access Intel AMT/ME KVM session from Linux? How do I remotely access Intel AMT KVM from Linux desktop and do out of band management of my server?

  • Check and verify md5/sha1/sha256 checksums for MacOS X when I download files - Malware is becoming more and more common for macOS. I wanted to make sure file I downloaded files such as an ISO image or firmware are safe before install on my system. How do I verify md5 or sha1 or sha256 checksums for my Apple MacOS X when I download files from the Internet?

  • Linux prevent unprivileged users from viewing dmesg command output - I want to restrict both normal users and root user inside LXD container “hypervisor” from viewing and using dmesg command output. How do I prevent non-root (unprivileged) Linux users from viewing the Linux kernel’s log buffer? Can Linux prevent unprivileged users from viewing dmesg command output?

  • How to get octal file permissions on Linux/Unix command line - I am a new Linux command line user. How do I find file permissions in octal format such as 0644 from the bash command line running on a Linux or Unix operating systems? How can I get the octal permissions for a file? How do I get octal file permissions on Linux/Unix?

--

Vivek Gite

Editor-in-chief, nixCraft

Have a question/comment? Contact me via email - webm...@cyberciti.biz