My third book is out

Amber Cook

Sep 11, 2014, 9:56:14 PM9/11/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com

I wanted to share the good news here.  I uploaded my third book today and it will go live tomorrow morning on Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NHDEL1Q

It's been six years in the making. Live my creature, LIVE!

It comes out of my love for Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte and Charles Dickens. So there are flawed characters of all sorts hiding secrets and nursing hopes whose story lines entwine ever further together and bring more and more to the surface.

I've also really enjoyed Downton Abbey, so there's a large ensemble cast of characters from both upstairs and downstairs gathering at one estate for drama tinged with tragedy and humor.

And I'm a big fan of the original Night of the Living Dead movie. So the book is paranormal historical fiction, but I like to call it 'a genteel period piece slowly and unwillingly realizing it's in Night of the Living Dead.'

Michele Makinson

Sep 11, 2014, 10:00:42 PM9/11/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Congrats! I just released two myself. It feels good doesn't I'm so happy for you.

Ron Hepner

Sep 11, 2014, 10:59:39 PM9/11/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
That's good news, Amber. Co-relating and entwining characters from various background genres is a wise move. Much success.

Andy Bunch

Sep 12, 2014, 9:34:38 AM9/12/14
to NIWA Group

If the back cover blurb is a slightly trimmed version of your description here then it should sell like hotcakes.

Amber Cook

Sep 12, 2014, 2:37:36 PM9/12/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
That's really interesting feedback, Andy.  What I wrote there was more of a personal share, the book blurb is different.  But maybe I'll try a streamlined version of it as the book blurb in places.

Angela Korra'ti

Sep 12, 2014, 7:05:38 PM9/12/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Congrats on the release!

Anna

Andy Bunch

Sep 12, 2014, 10:09:55 PM9/12/14
to NIWA Group

Definitely. it's probably on some kind of don't do list, but sometimes when you break rules you stand out. I found it...I was going to say interesting but I can be more specific. If I didnt know you and I was holding it in my hands and read that I would turn to a random spot or two and read a paragraph to make sure you could write. Then I'd buy it just to see how it came out.

I was standing next to Mike Moscoe when he pitched a book series to an editor. He called it star wars meets clan of the cave bear. It worked.

On Sep 12, 2014 11:37 AM, "Amber Cook" <unchan...@gmail.com> wrote:
That's really interesting feedback, Andy.  What I wrote there was more of a personal share, the book blurb is different.  But maybe I'll try a streamlined version of it as the book blurb in places.

Amber Cook

Sep 13, 2014, 3:40:43 PM9/13/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
I know, sometimes we get so caught up in what is the Right way, we forget that the key thing is that it connects with the person on the other end to something they want or are interested in.  I always have to remind myself that something genuine and straight forward can be better than something too clever or contrived.  That's also one of the reason I find those pitch conferences so helpful, because you get direct response and feedback to your presentation of your book (from strangers, not friends), rather than the pass/fail we get when we put it up for sale and don't really know why people bought it or passed on it.

Andy, did you and Mike pitch at the Willamette Writers conference?