contest

Roz Malin

Sep 24, 2014, 10:26:21 AM9/24/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if anyone has heard of this contest, but it was posted on another group's site. Sounds like they give you coverage if you win plus some $$, which is always a good thing. And there shouldn't be copyright issues since they want already published books.

The catch is the deadline is coming up fast. And it looks like there is an entry fee.

http://www.shelfmediagroup.com/pages/competition.html

Good luck to any who chose to enter.

Roz

Ron Hepner

Sep 25, 2014, 1:43:50 AM9/25/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Be wary where you're asked to pay a fee. Can you find more info on this site?

Roz Malin

Sep 25, 2014, 10:02:56 AM9/25/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Good question, Ron. I was passing along the info that came in from TOADHALL and usually those folks are very careful. So I just now googled and searched for warning signs. One of the sponsors of the contest is Bowker. They don't have a good rep and should be on the Writer's Beware list. Here's a list to an article: http://www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com/2013/03/guest-post-how-bowker-uses-its-us-isbn.html

The company running the contest is Shelf Unbound out of Texas. I'm usually leery of any businesses coming out of Texas. It's a knee-jerk reaction to Enron and the Robber Barons.

I was pointed to the above site when I googled Shelf Unbound Lawsuits, not Bowker. So one of the  things I would be curious about is if in the contract, the writer gives up her or his ownership rights.

If I were entering, I would read the contract and do a search for red flags. I hope any other writers that enter contests also read the contract before signing and sending. There was a very enticing contest I considered that was run by MeeGenius. I thought I'd send in my chapter book. Problem is, their contract spelled out that they had all future world-wide, electronic rights; your characters became theirs; and they could have other writers write in your universe without your permission.

Basically, I always read the contract and make sure what the consequences are before I send.

Thanks for being alert and bring up the question.

Roz