CALLING VOLUNTEER PROOFREADERS! (2014 NIWA Anthology)

Jennifer Willis

Aug 19, 2014, 3:14:06 PM8/19/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
So the 2014 NIWA Anthology is coming along, and while we’re working on getting the blog tour organized we’re also nearly ready to get additional sets of eyes on these stories.

Got an eye for punctuation, formatting, and grammar? Would you like to help us out? If you’re available to proofread one or two stories during the first part of September, please send your contact information to submi...@niwa.com and indicate whether you’d like to be assigned one or two stories to proofread. Stories in this year’s anthology range from 1300 to 7500 words.

Anthology authors are welcome to volunteer for this duty! However, you will not be asked to proof your own story.

Thanks for your help!

-- Jen

Amber Cook

Aug 20, 2014, 8:53:16 PM8/20/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
I'll proofread one.  And you have my email address.

Jennifer Willis

Aug 21, 2014, 6:41:44 PM8/21/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Amber!

-- Jen

Roz Malin

Aug 22, 2014, 10:43:23 AM8/22/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
I can proof at least one, maybe two. Expect punctuation, grammar, and syntax corrections. Plot holes will be noted.

Will the stories be sent back to the authors for corrections or will the corrections be made and the ms sent to press?

Roz

Amber Cook

Aug 22, 2014, 4:28:33 PM8/22/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Roz, I could be wrong, but the stories have already been edited, so I think Jen is only looking for proofreading:  typos, switched synonyms, missing words or punctation or punctuation errors, formatting glitches, that kind of thing,

Jennifer Willis

Aug 22, 2014, 8:11:52 PM8/22/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Roz!

This is strictly proofreading—checking for typos, missing or misplaced punctuation, and the like. No developmental, structural, or copy editing at this point. The authors have already made their revisions, large and small, and now volunteers help by loaning extra sets of eyes to make sure glaring errors aren't missed.

I'll add your name to the list. Cheers!

-- Jen

Roz Malin

Aug 22, 2014, 8:12:54 PM8/22/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
I can proof for those.

Jim Gillaspy

Oct 17, 2014, 6:05:26 PM10/17/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com

Elisa, the owner of Another Read Through on Mississippi Avenue in Portland, has been very supportive of our organization, hosting book readings (two so far) and selling our books. From talking to her, I get the impression that the store is struggling financially -- no she didn't ask me to do this -- and could use our support in return.

She has an extensive stock of use books in many categories, including romance, children's, historical, and (my favorite) science fiction and fantasy. In the SF category, I've seen authors that I have been unable to find in the downtown Powell's. If you are looking for a particular title or author, you should give her a try. And recommend her store to your friends.

Lots of parking on the street and great places to eat nearby.

3932 N Mississippi Ave in North Portland

Her website is:

http://www.anotherreadthrough.com/

Thanks,

Jim Gillaspy

Ron Hepner

Oct 17, 2014, 8:32:25 PM10/17/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Jim, thanks for tip. Always great to find a book store supportive of authors.

Adam Copeland

Oct 17, 2014, 8:39:38 PM10/17/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your awesome support. I'm always posting how awesome her store is.

Sent on the new Sprint Network from my Samsung Galaxy S®4.