I'm Through Playing God...

Publisher The Written Wyrd

Sep 30, 2014, 12:22:01 AM9/30/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

I have just finished the pasteup for the final manuscript for 'Playing God' at 103,600 words.   I'll give it one last run-through tomorrow, then off to CreateSpace.   This is number ten for me - who'd a-thunk it?   I'm also that close to 150,000 words for the year, putting me three months ahead of my nominal schedule.   As you might guess, I am gassed by it all.

While I have you cornered, let me repeat my call for assistance.   I plan to bring a batch of trade paperbacks to Orycon, but hauling that many books will be a real challenge in my present physical condition.   Is there someone there in Portland who is willing to receive a shipment for me?   I'll get even with you with a copy of the new book.

My particulars are:

To celebrate the occasion, here is another dramatic tidbit from the story:

"Dan, you tried to kill yourself."  She overrode his inarticulate protest.  "You drank enough to kill most people, and I found the empty bottle of pain killers, too.  You were lucky I found you when I did."

For once he didn't say anything, didn't protest, didn't argue.  He simply sat there, head resting on arms propped on the table.  His resigned silence was terrifying.

"Why, Dan?  Was it because you couldn't find the magic bullet?  Was it because of what happened to Looking Glass?"  She kept her tone calm, trying to draw him out and get him talking.  "I can understand, Dan.  Seeing all that devastation again and again, being unable to stop it, it must get to you eventually.  But this isn't the answer."

"There's no answer," he mumbled.  "No hope."

"There's no hope only if you give up.  Even if you can't save the human race, you can still save us."

"It's...useless..."

She remorselessly played the one real card she held with him.  "What would I have done, Dan?  You would have left me alone here, no food, no water, no escape.  I don't know how to run your equipment, and George wouldn't let me anyway.  What would have become of me?"

He cringed, and couldn't look at her.

"This isn't how it's going to end, Dan.  We can still save ourselves, but only if you pull yourself together."  She took his hand, squeezed it firmly.  "I'll help you.  I'm a nurse; I've helped people for twenty-eight years.  This is a medical problem, and I know how to treat it.  We can save each other; do you believe me?  Do you trust me?"

He was silent for some time, then nodded his head.

Step One: establish leadership presence.  Done.

Til next,

Bob

Ron Hepner

Sep 30, 2014, 3:05:53 AM9/30/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Suspense, tension between characters, I like. Words run smoothly.

Andy Bunch

Sep 30, 2014, 6:17:33 PM9/30/14
to NIWA Group

Cool. Orycon is out for me this year. Too much going on in the rest of my life.

Amber Cook

Sep 30, 2014, 6:26:46 PM9/30/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Bob, unfortunately as much as I love going to OryCon, my other prime event has once again been scheduled on the same weekend, instead of the weekend before, which it had been for years.  So I won't be able to go.  Keep in mind that not many people are on this forum anymore, so you might want to post this on the new one.  I myself can't log in to the new one and no one will get back to me to help me get on, so I'm stuck out here, but if you can log in to the member's forum on the website, that's probably a better place to post about OryCon stuff.

Publisher The Written Wyrd

Sep 30, 2014, 6:35:48 PM9/30/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm, yes.   I tried to sign in to the forums just now and get an 'Error 404 - page not found' notice.   It looks like the new site still needs a lot of work.

Bob

Amber Cook

Sep 30, 2014, 6:39:14 PM9/30/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
I got the same thing and posted about it here, but never heard back about it.

Maybe someone on here who can log in would be willing to post your post on the new site...

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Publisher The Written Wyrd <the-writte...@pages.plusgoogle.com> wrote:
Hmmm, yes.   I tried to sign in to the forums just now and get an 'Error 404 - page not found' notice.   It looks like the new site still needs a lot of work.

Bob

Looking for something fun to read?  My urban fairy tales and the first book of a gothic/paranormal historical fiction trilogy are on Amazon and Kindle:  What the Faeries Left Behind, Defense Mechanisms and Night of the Victorian Dead.

See my wubbulous website for the books, a blog on Caution: Adults Playing,

and my photo-image series Chromatic Daffodil Shadows & Prism Casts at www.ambermichellecook.com.

Jason LaPier

Sep 30, 2014, 6:47:26 PM9/30/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
You have to go to http://www.niwawriters.net/ and use the login form on that front page, on the right side. Once you're logged in, you can get to the member forums.

P.S. I'm not defending the experience, just trying to help y'all get access. :-/

UNEXPECTED RAIN, a space-age noir murder mystery comes out 7.7.2015
More info and excerpt: http://jasonwlapier.com

Amber Cook

Sep 30, 2014, 7:11:50 PM9/30/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Still not working for me, but thanks, Jason.

Jason LaPier

Sep 30, 2014, 7:19:44 PM9/30/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Did you do http://www.niwawriters.net/ (as opposed to .com)? That's what was tricking me before. If you're successfully logged in, there should be a black WordPress banner at the top, where it says "Howdy" in the upper right corner.

If you're successfully logging in but still can't access the forums, sounds like they still need to give your account access.

For what it's worth, there's not a lot of activity on those forums yet.

UNEXPECTED RAIN, a space-age noir murder mystery comes out 7.7.2015
More info and excerpt: http://jasonwlapier.com

Angela Korra'ti

Sep 30, 2014, 7:44:10 PM9/30/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
The forums menu appears to be somewhat screwed up. And it's also confusing in that there's ALSO a Forums link in the bar across the very top of the page, as well as on the main menu.

That said, once I actually log in, http://www.niwawriters.net/forums/ works.

I note that the Board of Directors link on the Forum menu does NOT work, though, and if you've already clicked on that, then the "Member Forums" link on the menu proceeds to break too.