Switching to Forums on NIWA website

maggie

Sep 15, 2014, 6:35:39 PM9/15/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
As most of you know, we have been working to switch the forums to the NIWA website. We have held off until now because of various login/logout problems members reported. Some members were able to access everything with ease, while others were automatically logged out.  We believe we have solved that problem now and had several of the members who reported the problem testing it.

Over the next few days, you will see new topics being introduced in the forum. We will phase out this Google Forum by the end of this month.

I would appreciate you going to the website and logging in with your username and password, then clicking on the Member Forum Link and participating there.

If you have forgotten your username (all the ones entered of current members in May 2014 are your first iniitial and last name, e.g., mlynch) send me an email at mag...@maggielynch.com and I'll look it up for you.

If you have forgotten your password, click on the LOST PASSWORD link at the login.

Once you are logged in, go to MEMBER FORUMS.  There are a couple of things to know about the forums.

1. They are sorted in descending order, most recent topics first and most recent posts within the topic first.
2. To see the options (e.g., reply), mouse to the forum date portion and the options will be revealed.
3. You do have the ability to upload pictures, documents, etc. to share.
4. I'm looking at implementation of a signature line.

Note: We currently have the forum set to send emails to all members whenever a new topic is posted or a reply is posted. This is to help member's transition to the new forum by getting information in their email and not having to login unless they wish to participate in the discussion.

One other thing to check is your online profile. This is what is displayed in the member list on the site.  To update your profile information you must be logged in.

Select the MEMBERS ONLY menu and then click on EDIT PROFILE.
It will display the public information currently in the system.
To change any of the information click on the EDIT button near your name.
This will now make the information editable, including uploading a picture of yourself, adding biographical information and a link to your website and social media.

I am going to start a technology topic in the online forum. Please ask your questions there so that my answer can benefit everyone.

I know that change is hard, but I hope that ultimately you willl find these forums to be a great member benefit. We will be posting documentation and help for members-only, as well as other authors feeling more comfortable in giving advice that is not in a completely public realm.

Maggie

Publisher The Written Wyrd

Sep 15, 2014, 8:46:38 PM9/15/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Hello Maggie,

I tried signing in and going to the forums, but got the following message:

Sorry, but you do not have the correct permissions to install the Slider Revolution plugin. Contact the administrator of this site for help on getting the plugin installed.

Keep in mind I'm using a Mac, and some sites have an attitude about that.   I suspect others may have this issue too.

Bob

Publisher The Written Wyrd

Sep 15, 2014, 8:50:22 PM9/15/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Also when I clicked on the 'topics' link, I got the following:

You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.

I'd say the site still needs some work.

Bob

Amber Cook

Sep 20, 2014, 7:58:24 PM9/20/14
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
When I go to the Member Forum page on the new website it says 404 page not there...