GSoC Barcamp

Surya Kant Singh

Feb 15, 2017, 1:33:09 PM2/15/17
to nitd...@googlegroups.com, lug...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, On 23rd January '17 (post-MUKTI week) we hosted GSoC Heat for open source enthusiasts who are interested in applying for the GSoC program.

The application process for the program was discussed at length. Attendees were given a hands-on training on how to write proposals. A contest was hosted where the participants were asked to submit their proposals.

We received around 20 submissions, out of which 6 were selected. Eventually, 5 participants completed their proposals. Every participant was given tips on how the proposal can be improved. The participants remarked that the session was very helpful and informative.

A follow-up event named “GSoC Bar Camp” is scheduled this weekend i.e, on 18th Feb. We are planning to introduce 1st years with the GSoC program and motivate them to try and get experienced or at least get introduced with Open Source Community and how to contribute. We have also a mentor talk this time that will help students to know about what a mentor sees in his/her potential mentee.

--
Regards,
Surya Kant Singh,

Mayank Jha

Feb 16, 2017, 11:44:38 AM2/16/17
to nitdgplug, lug...@googlegroups.com
Was there just a proposal writing event, or did the participants actually implemented what they had proposed ? If yes, would want to see the work done by the participants.

Surya Kant Singh

Feb 16, 2017, 2:09:03 PM2/16/17
to lug...@googlegroups.com, nitdgplug

Yes they did, I will get back to you asap.