Parliament - Say no to Internet Censorship

VIGNESH PRABHU

Apr 12, 2012, 8:21:45 AM4/12/12
to nitd...@googlegroups.com, nit...@googlegroups.com, cmri...@googlegroups.com, drait...@googlegroups.com, fsmk...@googlegroups.com, phi...@googlegroups.com, nhce...@googlegroups.com

Parliament - Say no to Internet Censorship

The Government notified on April 13, 2011 the Information Technology (Intermediaries guidelines) Rules, 2011 prescribing guidelines to be observed by the intermediaries. The rules were issued in exercise of the powers conferred by clause (zg) of subsection (2) of section 87 read with sub-section (2) of section 79 of the Information Technology Act, 2000 (Act 21 of 2000). The provisions of the new rules are unconstitutional as they affect the right to freedom of speech and expression as well as right to privacy of citizens, are arbitrary being violative of Art. 14 of the Constitution of India and are ultra vires of the parent act. SFLC.in [1] has come out with an ebook, Legal analysis of IT(Intermediaries guidelines)Rules 2011 [2] explaining the impact of the guidelines which the government has come up with.

FSMK[3] with support of other organizations is planning a national level campaign against this law which will be discussed in parliament on the second half of the budget session which starts from April 24th. Hence we have chosen 21st April for the nation wide campaign against the law. Content regarding the campaign and the issue is being updated, [4].

Please let me know if the organizations that you are associated with can support us for this campaign. We are maintaining a list of all organization who are supporting us [5].

Also please support this campaign by sharing the link of the website[4] and also by signing the petition [6].

We are also looking for any creative posters/ideas related to this topic which will help us in spreading the word. Please feel free to share such content with us so that we can update it in the website.

[1] - http://softwarefreedom.in/

[2] - [pdf] http://softwarefreedom.in/attachments/article/125/LegalAnalysis_ItIntermediaryRules.pdf

[3] - http://fsmk.org

[4] - http://friendsofinternet.wikispaces.com/