nvidia driver

malsawma

May 10, 2011, 8:00:49 AM5/10/11
to NIT Agartala GNU/Linux Users Group
Hi,
I am just new to Linux and have upgraded windows 7 to Ubuntu 10.10
in a Compaq Presario CQ40 having a nvidia card, but there seems to
be no driver of the video card in the HP website,
1.How do i get the driver and pliz give me the procedure for
installing the driver.

2.I also want to know the procedure for removing Linux from the
system.

Thank you.

Sumit

Jul 20, 2011, 2:50:11 PM7/20/11
to nit...@googlegroups.com

     1.How do i get the driver and pliz give me the procedure for
installing the driver.

Open terminal and type the following:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Restart your system.
Open terminal again and type the following:

sudo nvidia-xconfig

Log out and log back in. You'll find nVidia settings at System > Administration > nVidia XServer Settings

Let me know if it worked.

     2.I also want to know the procedure for removing  Linux from the
system.

I wish you don't do that. It's a hassle to get some drivers on linux systems but you'll get used to it eventually and might even enjoy the process. :)
However if you are really inclined to the decision of getting rid of ubuntu, just format the partition in which you installed it. If you used a wubi, you'll find the option of uinstalling it at the "Add or Remove programs" in control panel of Win7. Or if you are trying it on VMWare or something like that, just delete the virtual drive. Ubuntu will be gone.