State of NICSS

Shukuyen

Jan 15, 2013, 4:54:19 AM1/15/13
to nimb...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I am thinking about using nimbus css in an app but I am not sure what the state of that module is:

- Is it stable enough for production apps?
- Is this still considered a good idea? Or is it better to do everything the "classic" way
- What are the performance implications of using nimbus css?
- Is it possible to have user switchable themes of an app with nicss?

I really like the idea to just having to write css and even more so to immediately see my changes in effect during development with chameleon. But looking at github the development on the css feature stalled months ago. Maybe that's because it is already working perfectly, but I just wanted to ask around what your opinion on this is.

Thanks a lot,
Shukuyen

Jeff Verkoeyen

Jan 17, 2013, 7:45:53 PM1/17/13
to nimb...@googlegroups.com
For smaller projects and prototypes there is certainly value in using NICSS to allow an app's visual style to be modified using CSS.

This is the line at which I stop recommending its use, however.

As it stands I wouldn't recommend the use of NICSS in production apps because it creates a fairly severe code lock-in effect. This is one of the primary reasons why the Three20 library is so difficult to maintain and I want to avoid causing similar problems with Nimbus. I've been debating sunsetting this feature altogether or creating a separate Github repo for it.

Cheers,
- Jeff

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/nimbusios?hl=en

Yosi Taguri

Jan 19, 2013, 12:26:58 AM1/19/13
to nimb...@googlegroups.com
One of the big bugs it has now is that the parser lower cases the css text and UIFont is case sensitive so it is not that usable in its current form. I tried to fix it but couldn't pin point where it happens.
Yosi Taguri | Co-Founder | Labgoo | iPhone: http://ahhhpah.com | twitter: http://twitter.com/yosit | Mobile: +972-54-4816020 | Google Voice US Mobile: +1 (415) 935-1126 | Email: yo...@taguri.com

*Confidential*