Re: [grails-user] Nimble: Mail fail (Authenticated user was not able to be obtained from metaclass)

Bradley Beddoes

Sep 25, 2011, 11:59:36 PM9/25/11
to us...@grails.codehaus.org, Nimble
As the "one man band" who developed Nimble on top of Grails and Shiro I just wanted to echo Les comments here.

Nimble simply leverages Shiro and Grails. It is an of the sorts of UI that can be built ontop of the flexibility Shiro provides.

Unfortunately as stated I am not currently maintaining Nimble and haven't been for many months. I just simply don't have the time with other full time work that actually pays the bills.

Nimble is however fully open source and all my original hacking is up on Github. The code isn't going anywhere. If nothing else it might still serve as a reasonable basis to give you some ideas on writing these components for your own grails app. Nothing it does is really earth shattering it was (or at least at the time was) simply a way to save a bunch of time with common access control stuff. It took inspiration from similar efforts in the rails space.

I highly recommend vanilla Shiro/ShiroGrails as a starting point for your access control needs, I certainly still make heavy use of it in the Java space.

regards,
Bradley

On 13/07/2011, at 5:00 PM, Les Hazlewood wrote:

> [...]
> top of, and separate from, Apache Shiro. Shiro itself is very much
> alive and seeing extremely strong growth every month, and it is
> professionally supported by Katasoft (http://www.katasoft.com) should
> you require support for it. Although Katasoft isn't connected with
> Nimble at the moment, we'll continue supporting Shiro in whatever way
> people like us to. I should also mention that the Grails Plugin for
> Apache Shiro is also separate from Nimble and itself is supported by a
> committer and core member on the Apache Shiro team.
>
> I just didn't want people reading this to get the impression that
> because Nimble may not have been updated recently that Apache Shiro or
> the Grails Plugin for Apache Shiro might in any way not be worth
> using. Apache Shiro, the Grails Plugin for Apache Shiro, and Nimble
> are all three separate open-source projects and should be evaluated
> individually.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Les Hazlewood
> CTO, Katasoft | http://www.katasoft.com | 888.391.5282
> twitter: http://twitter.com/lhazlewood
> katasoft blog: http://www.katasoft.com/blogs/lhazlewood
> personal blog: http://leshazlewood.com
>
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Lukas Rossa <lukas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Slightly off topic but may be worth mentioning that Nimble does not seem to
>> be supported any more:
>> The Nimble issue tracker https://github.com/bradleybeddoes/nimble/issues has
>> been offline for many months now.
>> The last Nimble source code update was over a year ago.
>> The Nimble user groups are very, very quiet.
>> And lastly the maintainers themselves concede they have no time to spend on
>> the project. (https://github.com/bradleybeddoes/nimble#readme)
>> This is a pity as Nimble (Shiro) is in my opinion a much cleaner, less
>> intrusive and just easier to use security solution than Spring Security but
>> if you choose it you may be left stranded down the track if you
>> need support.
>> --
>> Lukas Rossa
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:03 AM, frederik- <frederi...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We are currently trying out Nimble for our completely fresh grails app.
>>>
>>> We have just finished installing the plugin following the guide at
>>> https://sites.google.com/site/nimbledoc/nimble-installation and is running
>>> the app successfully.
>>>
>>> However, when trying to create a new user we seem to fail. We fill out the
>>> form for creating a new user and then click 'Register Account'. After this
>>> we get the following error message from the server:
>>>
>>> ERROR core.AccountController - Authenticated user was not able to be
>>> obtained from metaclass
>>>

>>> Also, when we create a user, or try to have password sent to us, no mail
>>> arrives. We have added this mail config in /conf/config.groovy:

>>> port = 465
>>> username = "meres...@gmail.com"
>>> password = "MARX1818"
>>> props = ["mail.smtp.auth":"true",
>>> "mail.smtp.socketFactory.port":"465",
>>>
>>> "mail.smtp.socketFactory.class":"javax.net.ssl.SSLSocketFactory",
>>> "mail.smtp.socketFactory.fallback":"false"]
>>> }
>>> }
>>>
>>> and this mail config in /conf/NimbleConfig.groovy
>>>
>>> mail {
>>> from = "xx &lt;x...@gmail.com&gt;"
>>> host = "smtp.gmail.com"
>>> port = 465