node stack overflow error

Lawson, Andrew B.

Aug 6, 2021, 1:15:00 PM8/6/21
to nimble-users

I have a problem when using configureMCMC.  I have a large dataset and a fairly large model

And if I add some posterior functionals to the model I get the error:

Node stack overflow.

after issuing the command configureMCMC (………..)

I don’t get the error if I use a smaller data set OR don’t include the functionals.

From searching around it seems this is a R error, but I am not sure

If it is possible fix this by extending some limit in R. I tried options (expressions=……..)

but this didnt seem to help.

Does anyone have insight on this and suggested solutions?

Much appreciated

Andrew

Division of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics

Department of Public Health Sciences

Medical University of South Carolina

Charleston

Daniel Turek

Aug 6, 2021, 2:29:34 PM8/6/21
to Lawson, Andrew B., nimble-users
Andrew, thanks for sending the question.

It's hard to give specific advice without seeing your model, but I had one thought.  You mentioned that you can successfully configure the MCMC if you exclude the posterior functionals.  So perhaps these functionals themselves are vastly increasing the size of the model - perhaps even doubling the size of the graph, if they're added on a node-by-node basis - and I had to wonder whether all of these functionals are entirely necessary.  Perhaps (although it's impossible to say without seeing the code) they could be written in a different, more streamlined way.  Perhaps pushing more of the calculations into the functions themselves, and less in the model graph.  But again, it's hard to say anything specifically or confidently without seeing the code.

Seeing the form of these posterior functionals might help to see what's going on there.

Good luck,
Daniel