Subtheme troubleshooting

Blake Tooth

Jan 22, 2021, 8:46:25 PM1/22/21
to nikola-discuss

Hi All

I am new to Nikola and was looking for some troubeshooting pointers using the subtheme command. I successfully create the custom template folder but the generated website does not have the custom style. Are there a few standard troubleshooting steps to go through?

Thanks!

Blake

Chris Warrick

Jan 23, 2021, 1:49:18 PM1/23/21
to Nikola—Discuss
Did you change the THEME setting in conf.py?

PGP: 5EAAEA16

Blake Tooth

Jan 25, 2021, 7:04:52 AM1/25/21
to nikola-discuss
Thanks for the response

Yes. I have since started from the beginning with a fresh site and got it working so if there are troubleshooting steps that would apply to changing a theme for a site that has already been generated with a previous theme that would be useful to know for future reference - as I am just starting I am still likely to need this at some point.

Blake

Chris Warrick

Jan 30, 2021, 5:50:28 AM1/30/21
to Nikola—Discuss
On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 at 13:04, Blake Tooth <blake...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the response
>
> Yes. I have since started from the beginning with a fresh site and got it working so if there are troubleshooting steps that would apply to changing a theme for a site that has already been generated with a previous theme that would be useful to know for future reference - as I am just starting I am still likely to need this at some point.

There aren’t any specific steps. The only reason why a theme change
would “fail” is forgetting to change the THEME in conf.py. If you did
change THEME, and can’t see any changes, then: (a) the new theme looks
the same as the old one (eg. bootstrap4 → bootstrap4-jinja), (b) your
browser has cached some assets (Cmd/Ctrl+Shift+R to force refresh),
(c) if you’re using Cloudflare on your live site, you need to purge
the Cloudflare cache. Note that cases (b) and (c) aren’t specific to
Nikola and apply in many other cases.