doc discrepancy: getnikola.com isn't actually built as a site w blog.

Blaise Pabon

Sep 13, 2022, 12:02:46 PM9/13/22
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
Is there a working "site with blog" I can use as a reference?

The tutorial for creating a site with a blog says to "see an example refer to the Nikola site" (code), but the current Nikola site doesn't have that structure of
INDEX_PATH="blog"
POSTS = (
    ("posts/*.rst", "blog", "post.tmpl"),
    ("posts/*.txt", "blog", "post.tmpl"),
    ("posts/*.html", "blog", "post.tmpl"),

The other observation is that the example of the pages.index site says "By default Nikola uses reStructuredText but it supports a ton of formats,"
but the example includes mostly CSS and HTML directives, with none of the elements that would typically appear on a landing page.

The current symptom is illustrated in:

I don't mind updating the docs, but I don't yet have a working example to contribute.

-Blaise

--
LinkedIn  |  Quora  |  Github
“If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” --African proverb

Roberto Alsina

Sep 13, 2022, 3:37:25 PM9/13/22
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 1:02 PM Blaise Pabon <bla...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a working "site with blog" I can use as a reference?

The tutorial for creating a site with a blog says to "see an example refer to the Nikola site" (code), but the current Nikola site doesn't have that structure of
INDEX_PATH="blog"
POSTS = (
    ("posts/*.rst", "blog", "post.tmpl"),
    ("posts/*.txt", "blog", "post.tmpl"),
    ("posts/*.html", "blog", "post.tmpl"),

This is the relevant fragment from nikola's site config:

POSTS = (
("posts/*.txt", "blog", "post.tmpl"),
("posts/*.rst", "blog", "post.tmpl"),
("posts/*.md", "blog", "post.tmpl"),
("posts/*.html", "blog", "post.tmpl"),
)
PAGES = (
("stories/*.txt", "", "story.tmpl"),
("stories/*.rst", "", "story.tmpl"),
("stories/*.html", "", "story.tmpl"),
)
INDEX_PATH = "blog"

Sorry about the bad indenting, gmail sucks for this.

And it's exactly the same as described in the "site with a blog" section of the document, except for the name of a folder (stories instead of pages) and the name of a template (story.tmpl instead of page.tmpl)

The other observation is that the example of the pages.index site says "By default Nikola uses reStructuredText but it supports a ton of formats,"
but the example includes mostly CSS and HTML directives, with none of the elements that would typically appear on a landing page.

I am not sure what document you are referring to here.

The current symptom is illustrated in:

I don't mind updating the docs, but I don't yet have a working example to contribute.

The usual template for posts is post.tmpl and for pages is page.tmpl

-Blaise

--
LinkedIn  |  Quora  |  Github
“If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” --African proverb

Blaise Pabon

Sep 13, 2022, 4:17:38 PM9/13/22
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for the reality check.
After I get this working and figure out if any docs need updates.

Blaise.