How to setup a project to achieve multiple list indexes for multiple post subfolders?

Dirk Olbrich

Oct 18, 2022, 5:23:00 AM10/18/22
to nikola-discuss

I have a question regarding the structure of a Nikola page and how to order posts and pages to achieve a desired project folder and thus a resulting URL structure.

The current state of the project is with files scattered across two different repos with a) additional blog posts currently on a Blogger hosted website and b) an external „Academy“ website with in-depth articles (some of them as Jupiter notebooks, these are already in a static Nikola page).

We want to combine these scattered repo files and posts into a single project.

This is the desired folder structure of the content:

  • pages/
    • home.html    <- slug set to index, renders as /index.html
    • about.html
    • … (other pages)
  • posts/
    • blog/
      • first-blog-post.md
      • second-blog-post.rst
      • large-blog-post/    <- a large post with lost of reference images, grouped into a single folder for better organization
        • image01.jpg
        • image2.jpg
        • large-blog-post.md
    • academy/
      • first-article.md
      • second-article.ipynb
      • large-article/
        • image01.jpg
        • image2.jpg
        • large-article.ipynb
    • articles.html    <- main /articles/index.html page which gives an intro into blog posts and in-depth articles, displays the latest of both categories

This would be the desired URL website structure (all paths are set  to PRETTY_URLS=true, index.html left out for readability):

  • /    <- home page
  • /about/
  • /…/ (other single pages)
  • /articles/    <- custom index page as intro to articles, which shows latest blog posts and latest academy articles
  • /blog/    <- index.html for all posts under the posts/blog/ subfolder
  • /blog/first-blog-post/
  • /blog/large-blog-post/
  • /blog/…/    <- other blog posts
  • /academy/    <- index.html for all posts under the posts/academy/ subfolder
  • /academy/first-article/
  • /academy/large-article/
  • /academy/…/    <- other articles

I thought about using categories, but could not figure out how to set multiple paths for category_Index pages.

My question: Is our desired folder and URL structure possible with a Nikola project? How to setup/configure a project to achieve this. If not, what’s the „best practice“ to achieve a similar result?

You can find my tries with a basic structure under this repo: https://github.com/dirkolbrich/ifcopenshell-org/tree/redesign-v2

These are the posts I found within this Mailing list for this topic, some of them very old:

No indexes for subfolder in posts/: https://groups.google.com/g/nikola-discuss/c/c1yKij0mCWc/m/5SpPsMLOk0gJ

Post subfolder index pages (post from 2013): https://groups.google.com/g/nikola-discuss/c/GwZ6nkY_cf0/m/E-cQ33dFYrYJ

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Roberto Alsina

Oct 18, 2022, 8:39:21 AM10/18/22
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
I think the easiest way would be to tag all posts in each "subsite" with a specific tag and then use each of those tags page as the site index?

For example, this is my site:

But I could say this is a "subsite" which is only about youtube videos:

You can get creative with redirections and configuration to say where that page for the "subsite" is.