Re: Bill Status Data Model : Terminology Post #2

Sean McGrath

Dec 1, 2011, 9:12:23 AM12/1/11
to niem-ed...@googlegroups.com
From Gary Scahefer, Louisiana Legislature

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: FW: {NIEM EDemocracy} Bill Status Data Model : Terminology Post #2
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 07:16:29 -0600
From: Schaefer, Gary <scha...@legis.la.gov>
To: 'sean.m...@propylon.com' <sean.m...@propylon.com>

December 1, 2011

Sean:

I think "date" could be associated with every action that is recorded in an instrument's history as it moves through the process--not just the ones you identified.  In addition to the dates on which actions take place, some states have deadline dates.

Deadline dates are usually not associated with a specific instrument.  For example, the last day to prefile, last day to introduce, last day to pass on third reading or send to conference.  Hawaii, if I remember correctly, has at least 6 different deadline dates.  It refers to some of the deadlines as "decking."  For example, in Hawaii, there is a deadline to report from the first committee referral, a deadline to report from the second committee referral, a deadline for being placed on third reading and final passage--all in the chamber of origin.  These deadlines are repeated in the second chamber.

I'm trying to think of labels that might be used.  Maybe there could be an "instrument date" and a "session date."  Instrument date would be any date that can be associated with a specific instrument, including a scheduled hearing date on an instrument.

Session date could be any other date that is not instrument specific, but deals more with the session.  This might be tricky for states that carryover instruments from one session to another.

Sean, in the Louisiana instrument history below, date is the date the action occurred, Chamber is the chamber in which the action occurred, Page is the page number in the Journal where that action can be found, and Action is the text of the action that occurred.  Status is the current status of the instrument.

HB1 - 2011 Regular Session (Act 12)

Author: FANNIN

SIGNED BY THE GOVERNOR
ACT 12

SEE VETO MESSAGE

Updated: 7/1/2011

Date

Chamber

Page

Action

07/01/2011

Effective date: July 1, 2011.

07/01/2011

Signed by the Governor with one or more line-item vetoes. Becomes Act No. 12.

06/22/2011

Sent to the Governor for executive approval.

06/22/2011

56

Signed by the President of the Senate.

06/22/2011

38

Enrolled and signed by the Speaker of the House.

06/21/2011

11

Read by title, roll called, yeas 103, nays 0, Senate amendments concurred in.

06/21/2011

11

Rules suspended, called out of its regular order.

06/20/2011

Scheduled for concurrence on 6/21/2011.

06/20/2011

1

Received from the Senate with amendments.

06/19/2011

33

Rules suspended. Senate floor amendments were read and adopted. The amended bill was read by title, finally passed by a vote of 36 yeas and 2 nays, and ordered returned to the House. Motion to reconsider tabled.

06/16/2011

50

Reported without Legislative Bureau amendments. Read by title and passed to third reading and final passage.

06/16/2011

33

Rules suspended. Reported with amendments. Rules suspended. Committee amendments read and adopted. Read by title and referred to the Legislative Bureau.

06/13/2011

14

Read by title and referred to the Committee on Finance.

06/13/2011

14

Rules suspended. Recalled from Committee.

05/31/2011

4

Received in the Senate. Rules suspended. Read first and second time by title and referred to the Committee on Finance.

05/26/2011

18

Read third time by title, amended, roll called on final passage, yeas 93, nays 4. Finally passed, title adopted, ordered to the Senate.

05/26/2011

18

Read by title. Considered in Committee of the Whole, reported with amendments, amendments adopted.

05/26/2011

17

House floor amendments adopted.

05/26/2011

17

Called from the calendar.

05/26/2011

17

Rules suspended.

05/25/2011

16

Read by title, amended, returned to the calendar.

05/18/2011

24

Made Special Order of the Day No. 1 for 5/25/2011.

05/18/2011

6

Read by title, amended, ordered engrossed, passed to 3rd reading - regular calendar.

05/17/2011

24

Reported with amendments (18-0) (Regular).

04/25/2011

6

Read by title, under the rules, referred to the Committee on Appropriations.

03/18/2011

First appeared in the Interim Calendar on 3/18/2011.

03/18/2011

Under the rules, provisionally referred to the Committee on Appropriations.

03/18/2011

Prefiled.

Gary K. Schaefer

Senate Information Systems Coordinator

P.O. Box 94183

Baton Rouge, LA 70804

(225) 342-1001

(225) 342-9736 FAX

scha...@legis.la.gov

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE--This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Dec 1, 2011, 10:32:15 AM12/1/11
to niem-ed...@googlegroups.com
I really like the idea of a date for each action as the bill moves along.

-k