Canberra Functional Programming group - non-NICTA people very welcome

Mats Henrikson

May 12, 2014, 2:13:12 AM5/12/14
to nict...@googlegroups.com
We now have enough people at NICTA in Canberra to start a FP interest group, and we are welcoming external non-NICTA people to come along as well.

We will start with going through the book "Functional Programming in Scala" by Paul Chiusano and Rúnar Bjarnason, available here:

This book has been recommended to us as good for learning FP regardless of programming language - there is also a lot of interest in other functional languages in the group, so some of us will be applying what we learn to other languages.

The details of the meetups are as follows:
  • meet on Thursday's at 12:00 for about an hour at NICTA, 7 London Circuit
  • we generally read the chapter before the meeting and start the exercises together at the meeting
  • first meeting 15 May to work through Chap 2 exercises (chap 1 doesn't have any)
  • to work through the exercises it is best to bring a laptop with a working dev environment

Non-NICTA people please meet at NICTA reception, Level 2, Tower A, 7 London Circuit a bit before 12:00 and we'll take you through to the meeting room.

If anybody needs help getting Eclipse/IDEA/Scala going then please let us know before the meetup, and we can try to help you out.

Mats

Damana Madden

May 21, 2014, 5:02:57 AM5/21/14
to nict...@googlegroups.com
It seems I missed the first meeting. Looking forward to the next one.