Quite likely bug: default.keys

jason404

Nov 8, 2018, 3:00:54 PM11/8/18
to niceeditor
I've been using a modded installation of ne for nearly 8 years on Debian Squeeze. Now that I have finally got around to moving and rebuilding my personal cloud server, I wanted to change key mappings and macros to improved versions, so I started with default.keys and started to modify it, within ne itself.  At some point I noticed that the Home key wasn't working as expected.  I could still use ^A and PgUp though.

So I reverted every change one at a time until I got back to the original file, but the problem persisted.

It seems that there is a bug with the default.keys file which stops the Home key from working.  I get a visual bell and the message 'No such command' in the statusbar.  The KeyCode command returned the correct hex value.

jason404

Nov 8, 2018, 3:04:08 PM11/8/18
to niceeditor
Oops, I'm using Debian 9.5, nested tmux (not tried without yet) and ne v3.0.1.

utoddl

Nov 8, 2018, 3:36:12 PM11/8/18
to niceeditor
I just want to clear up some ambiguities, as I'm not able to reproduce the problem here. (And I use "Home" a lot, on dozens of systems.)

The file you are modifying is a copy of default.keys called ~/.ne/.keys right?

When you say the KeyCode command returned the "correct hex value", what exactly did it return? For me, using a ~/.ne/.keys file that's a copy of default.keys I get this:

Key Code: 0x105,  Input Class: COMMAND,  Assigned Command: MovIncUp

And for completeness, the relevant section of default.keys is

# Cursor home

KEY     105     MovIncUp

jason404

Nov 14, 2018, 10:46:56 AM11/14/18
to niceeditor
Hi Todd. I apologise for the late reply. I got a bit frustrated with this problem and had to leave it for a while.

I just want to clear up some ambiguities, as I'm not able to reproduce the problem here. (And I use "Home" a lot, on dozens of systems.)

The file you are modifying is a copy of default.keys called ~/.ne/.keys right?

Yes.  I just tried again with a fresh user account.  ne works fine until I do this:

$ cp default.keys .keys

After that Home doesn't work, flashes a bell and gives the 'No such command' error.

When you say the KeyCode command returned the "correct hex value", what exactly did it return? For me, using a ~/.ne/.keys file that's a copy of default.keys I get this:

Key Code: 0x105,  Input Class: COMMAND,  Assigned Command: MovIncUp

And for completeness, the relevant section of default.keys is

# Cursor home

KEY     105     MovIncUp

Yes, that is what KeyCode-Home returns after copying default.keys to .keys.  And this problem persists with a fresh user account and I have also tried without using tmux and with different terminal emulators.

jason404

Nov 14, 2018, 5:52:29 PM11/14/18
to niceeditor
I installed ne 3.0.1 on another Debian 9.5 server (fresh installation) and the problem occurs there as well.  An empty .keys file does not cause any problems.

jason404

Nov 15, 2018, 11:47:42 AM11/15/18
to niceeditor
I wasn't expecting this, but this bug is present in ne 3.1.1 on CentOS 7.5 as well!  I have even tried connecting through my iPad and it still happens. So this can't have anything to do with my terminal emulator or OS installation.  This seems to be a bug in ne.

Unpack source and copy default.keys to ~/.ne/.keys and the Home key no longer works.

utoddl

Nov 15, 2018, 12:02:58 PM11/15/18
to niceeditor
Confirmed. You are not crazy. (Or you've got me crazy also.) This should be a fun one. Stay tuned...

utoddl

Nov 15, 2018, 12:07:57 PM11/15/18
to niceeditor
The line in the default.keys file has a typo in it. Instead of

KEY     105     MovIncUp

It should be

KEY     105     MoveIncUp

jason404

Nov 15, 2018, 12:15:38 PM11/15/18
to niceeditor
That was quick.  I see the error is in the source code for the earliest version I have been using (2.1.1), but all this time i have been using a .keys file that replaced that with MoveSOL.  I was starting fresh.

Cheers

Sebastiano Vigna

Nov 15, 2018, 12:59:15 PM11/15/18
to nicee...@googlegroups.com
O.M.G. I checked this yesterday and I didn't see it!

Ciao,

seba