Binding commands to non-ASCII letters

Aleksa Petrovic

Apr 22, 2022, 5:20:13 PM4/22/22
to niceeditor
Hi, could you please tell me is there some way to bind commands in NE to non-ASCII letters? I see that NE doesn't recognize non-ASCII letters when I run the KeyCode command, I press a non-ASCII letter and it doesn't show anything. Is there any way that I can bind a key combination using a non-ASCII letter to another combination, or some other way to use these letters? Thank you in advance

todd_...@unc.edu

Jun 30, 2022, 9:29:59 AM6/30/22
to niceeditor
Keycodes are at a lower level than ASCII. In a sense, all keycodes are non-ASCII, although a significant subset of them map to their ASCII equivalent. The KeyCode command uses the same input functions as the "plain old editing" functions. If KeyCode doesn't get it, neither will ne.

Can you elaborate what you mean by "non-ASCII letter"?

Aleksa Petrovic

Jun 30, 2022, 10:15:20 AM6/30/22
to niceeditor
Hi, thank you for replying. I am looking for a way to use the letters š, ć, č, ž for key bindings. So if I am in a keyboard layout with those letters I can use them such as alt-ž or ^ž to call NE commands.

uto...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2022, 10:46:05 PM9/26/22
to niceeditor
The problem is, those characters don't have keycodes. They come in as UTF-8 characters already, so they don't pass through the map-sequence-to-keycode →map-keycode-to-command machinery. Sorry.

Aleksa Petrovic

Sep 27, 2022, 7:45:35 AM9/27/22
to niceeditor
I see, thank you very much for explaining.