Syntax highlighting themes?

jason404

Sep 25, 2019, 2:14:27 PM9/25/19
to niceeditor
I've been using some other software, like 'bat', which is a cat/less alternative, with the Monokai theme.  I would like to use this theme with ne is possible,  Would take much time to make a similar theme for ne or, preferably, has anybody already made one?

Thanks.

John Gabriele

Sep 26, 2019, 5:05:41 PM9/26/19
to niceeditor
 I use ne with the terminal that comes with Xfce, and in the terminal's Preferences --> Colors tab, there's a Palette section. The palette is by default set to the usual 16 terminal colors, but you can select a different palette if you like. I go with dark pastels, and it looks really nice.

The ne syntax files contain references to those default terminal colors, and the terminal palette settings let you choose different custom colors for them if you like. If the terminal you're using has something similar, you might be able to fiddle around with the color choices and get them to look somewhat like Monokai.

jason404

Oct 21, 2019, 1:06:53 PM10/21/19
to niceeditor
Thanks for the reply.  I forgot about asking here.

I have in the past changed the standard 16 ANSI colours to the 'solarized dark' colour scheme that was very popular a few years ago, but it caused some things to be unreadable.  My terminal seems to support either 265 colours or full 24-bit colour (not sure which, but both tests come out as positive, so I'll keep the ANSI 16 as standard,  I suppose ne only uses those 16 colours, so guess I'll forget about trying to customise the syntax highlighting.

Cheers

jason404

Dec 11, 2019, 12:10:05 AM12/11/19
to niceeditor
This is what I did in the end.  As ne is the only software I regularly use that only uses the 16 ANSI colours (or even 8?), apart from htop, which still looks okay, I changed the default colours in my terminal emulators.  I had to adjust .dircolors bit, but now the bash colours are less garish as well.

Cheers.