"ICTs and Climate Change Mitigation in Developing Countries" is written for policy makers and strategic planners in senior climate change and ICT4D roles.
The briefing outlines:
- The drivers behind climate change mitigation in developing countries
- Three main application domains for mitigation-relevant use of ICTs: green ICT; smart ICT (energy, buildings, transportation, commerce, forestry); and community ICT
- Key challenges and opportunities for developing countries
- Strategic action steps on e-mitigation for international organisations, governments and private firms
- Sources of further information
Links to thematic papers, case studies, other strategy briefs and materials on ICTs, climate change and development can be found at: http://www.niccd.org/
This strategy brief is the product of the University of Manchester's "Climate Change, Innovation and ICTs" research project, funded by Canada's International Development Research Centre (http://www.idrc.ca) and managed by the University's Centre for Development Informatics (http://www.cdi.manchester.ac.uk).
Richard Heeks & Angelica Ospina