ICTs, Climate Change and Development Workshop: Jan 2012, Call for Participation Nominations

Richard Heeks

Sep 26, 2011, 6:48:14 PM9/26/11
to ni...@googlegroups.com

The University of Manchester in collaboration with the Association for Progressive Communications will be holding an international workshop "ICTs, Climate Change and Development: Awareness, Action, Agenda" in Johannesburg, South Africa on 23-24 January 2012; with the funding support of Canada's International Development Research Centre.  Further details of the workshop can be found at the end of this message and also at: http://www.niccd.org/workshop2012.htm

This is a call for nominations to participate in the workshop.  Nominations should be sent to niccd....@gmail.com by MONDAY 17TH OCTOBER 2011.  Please provide the following nomination information:

a) Your full name

b) Your employing organisation

c) Full contact details (postal address; phone; fax; email; web address)

d) Your job title

e) The relevance of your role to ICTs, climate change and development (max 100 words)

f) What benefits and future actions you anticipate emerging from your participation in the workshop (max 100 words)

g) Whether you are able to fund your own participation at the event

Some bursaries are available, and we will inform those selected by the end of October 2011.

For those self-funding, we anticipate total costs for international participants for flights, food and accommodation, local travel, etc. to be roughly US$2,000-2,500.  Please note we are making no charge for participation in the workshop itself.

Note: APC members will have been contacted separately by Karen Banks. If you have any queries, please write to her directly at kar...@gn.apc.org

Richard Heeks & Angelica Ospina

Climate Change, Innovation and ICTs Research Project

http://www.niccd.org

Workshop Purpose:

Awareness: to raise awareness among participants of the role ICTs can play vis-à-vis climate change in developing countries

Action: to identify and advocate specific actions that participants' organisations can take to improve the strategic integration between ICTs and climate change within development

Agenda: to identify the future ICCD agenda for policy-makers and strategists, for practitioners, and for research

Draft Workshop Content:

Date

Session

Content

Monday Jan 23rd

Workshop Introduction

ICCD Overview

Understanding climate change and ICTs in a development context

Mitigation and Monitoring

ICTs' contribution to carbon emissions; their role in smart emission-reduction techniques and green IT; monitoring climate change via digital technologies

Adaptation

What climate change adaptation means and requires for developing countries and communities; ICTs' role in supporting adaptation strategies

Tuesday Jan 24th

Strategic Planning

Organisational strategies for ICTs, climate change and development; policy influence and advocacy actions

ICCD Issues

Implications of ICTs and climate change for specific development priorities (e.g. water, health); cross-cutting ICCD issues

Future Agenda Setting

What should be the future agenda for research, for policy and for action in the ICCD arena?

Organisational and Network Action Plans

Development of individual and collective action plans for ICTs, climate change and development

The main sessions of the workshop will consist of overview and case study presentations, plus opportunities for group discussions, interactive lesson-learning, and agenda setting.  On Sunday 22 January we plan to hold informal meetings and discussion events.

Participants:

Key individuals with strategic responsibilities for either ICTs or climate change in development organisations in the NGO, public and private sector.  We anticipate approximately 30 participants in total.