Running DIRECT RI under Java 11+

Kenneth Halfpenny

Feb 28, 2023, 2:58:00 PM2/28/23
to nhindirect-discuss
We're trying to upgrade from James 2.3.2 and an early version of Direct RI to James 3.2.0 (or better). Seems that anything above 3.2.0 requires Java 11+, but that uses the JakartaEE namespace. And the latest Direct RI we can find only uses Java 1.8 which uses the JavaX namespace. Has anyone managed to get this to work? Or do we just need to stick with James 3.2.0 and Direct RI 6.0?
Thanks,
Ken

Saibabu Vallurupalli

Feb 28, 2023, 11:04:36 PM2/28/23
to Kenneth Halfpenny, nhindirect-discuss
Hi Kenneth,

Thanks,
Sai

Kenneth Halfpenny

Mar 9, 2023, 3:19:52 PM3/9/23
to nhindirect-discuss
Sai,

Thanks for that suggestion, but it doesn't look like it is applicable. Description from that page says in part "the default configuration is tailored to use the server as an edge protocol server (not as an SMTP server for receiving messages from other HISPs or as a relay)". But we are a HISP and do use it as an SMTP server and for receiving messages and as a relay. So that seems to be a dead end unless we want to do a lot of updating.

We are currently using the version at https://github.com/DirectProjectJavaRI/direct-project-stock which we have working (for the most part - although we're still having issues with the relay), but it is very finicky regarding what version of Java we can use. And any attempt to update to a newer version of James (beyond 3.2.0) doesn't seem to work with the old DIRECT 6.0 classes and jar files. (As noted, a case of Java 8 versus Java 11. Or JavaX versus JakartaEE.)

Other suggestions?

Ken

Saibabu Vallurupalli

Mar 11, 2023, 5:03:01 PM3/11/23
to Kenneth Halfpenny, nhindirect-discuss
Hi Ken,

I might have shared the incorrect link, in the same GitHUB you have the other project: https://github.com/DirectProjectJavaRI/direct-smtp-mq-gateway. However, you can also download and build James source with the required version of JDK you need and use it for as SMTP server for Direct Project: https://github.com/apache/james-project. If you need help, feel free to reach me: s...@digitalhie.com.

Thank you,
Sai