Unique IP Address for Every Host

Al Baker

Sep 27, 2022, 10:36:33 AM9/27/22
to nhindirect-discuss
Good morning. I work for a tribal entity, and we're implementing Direct Messaging with IHS. We have a problem in that we've been told that EVERY connection has to come from a unique public IP address for various reasons, including data security/data leakage, auditing, and federal regulations. I've been doing network engineering and security for 30+ years, and this doesn't make sense to me at all (except the possibility of federal regulations), and besides, we don't have enough public IP addresses to do this. They claim to have been doing this for either 5 or 7 years (don't recall which), and we're the first to have any concerns about this. Is this a legitimate requirement? We'll try to push back on this as this requirement is a real problem for us, but I doubt we will be able to change IHS policy. Thank you.