Send SMTP message using SSL/TLS

Tims

Dec 8, 2013, 7:54:40 PM12/8/13
to nhindirec...@googlegroups.com
We'd like to send an automated message from our application server to our James Server (HISP) which in turn would send an outbound HISP message.

From looking at the SMTP diagrams it appears it can take a SMTP SSL/TLS connection.  Is that correct?  If so what are the requirements for the SMTP message on the application server end and on the James Server end?  (currently SSL connections are not setup on our James server)

Or what would be the best method to send a message from an app server to an outbound HISP?

Thanks,
Tim

Tom Wilson

Dec 9, 2013, 1:39:54 PM12/9/13
to nhindirec...@googlegroups.com

Tims

Dec 23, 2013, 5:01:53 PM12/23/13
to nhindirec...@googlegroups.com

As a follow up, if both the application server and James Server are behind the firewall, is secure SMTP  required.  (Direct Gateway is on the James server.)

Tom Wilson

Jan 6, 2014, 2:02:43 PM1/6/14
to nhindirec...@googlegroups.com
If everything is closed off by a firewall you can consider it protected. However, I use a Mozilla mail client on my laptop to check certain mailboxes (my laptop is outside our server firewall), and for that I need to use secure POP3. It's mainly a development tool, but in a production setup, it can be useful for troubleshooting. I have test accounts for troubleshooting so I don't accidentally download PHI to my Mozilla mail client. Even without PHI, I use secure POP3/SMTP to protect the auth credentials.

-tom

Lakshmi Chidambaram

Nov 17, 2016, 3:04:13 AM11/17/16
to nhindirect-discuss
Hi Tim,

we are also looking to implement SSL/TLS enabled. How did you achieve the same?

Thanks,
Lakshmi

Harry D

Apr 26, 2017, 3:55:49 PM4/26/17
to nhindirect-discuss
Hi Tim and Lakshmi,

Tim its been a while I hope you might solve this issue, I not let me know I will explain what are the things need to be done.

Lakshmi I gave answer to your question on another thread that you posted. If you are a admin only take care of the server then the info provided will be good unless you are trying to setup somthing like email client on you app server[EHR app].
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/nhindirect-discuss/_4CWj1h9UXg

Thanks,
Harry