Sybase dialect removal/improvement

Julian

Sep 13, 2010, 5:48:41 AM9/13/10
to nhibernate-development
I've been having some email correspondence with Glenn Paulley (see his
blog at http://iablog.sybase.com/paulley/) regarding the state of
Sybase dialects in NHibernate. This was in response to a couple of
JIRA issues (http://216.121.112.228/browse/NH-1894 and
http://216.121.112.228/browse/NH-2068).

The current dialects are:

1) For Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise (ASE) [current version is
15.5]:

- public class SybaseDialect : Dialect
- public class Sybase11Dialect : SybaseDialect
- public class SybaseAdoNet12Dialect : Dialect

2) For Sybase SQL Anywhere [current version is 12]:

- public class SybaseAnywhereDialect : Dialect
- public class SybaseASA9Dialect : SybaseAnywhereDialect
- public class SybaseASA10Dialect : SybaseASA9Dialect

As you can see from this list, the naming is all over the place and we
don't have dialects for current versions. More importantly Glenn has
noted a number of omissions and inaccuracies.

Fabio and I favour removing all the current dialects, and replacing
them with correctly named, and better implemented versions. For SQL
Anywhere this shouldn't be a problem as Glenn has already contributed
dialects covering versions 10/11 and will soon provide one for version
12. He has indicated these dialects address many of the deficiencies
in the current NH dialects, and are being used in Production by a
couple of his clients.

Without similar contributions for Sybase ASE we could end up without
any dialects for this product. I did notice that Hibernate has
dialects which seem to be more actively updated than ours, including
one for ASE version 15, which we could port. As for testing...

Please note that I'm not a user of these database products, and don't
have them available for testing; so I've been relying on Glenn's
invaluable contributions and advice. The purpose of this post was
really just to bring this discussion into the open, and hopefully get
some feedback.

Fabio Maulo

Sep 13, 2010, 7:29:35 AM9/13/10
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
FYI,
No comments in 48hs mean: go ahead with the plan.
--
Fabio Maulo

Richard Brown (gmail)

Sep 13, 2010, 7:33:06 AM9/13/10
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
+1

I'm in favour.

I think it (re) highlights how useful it would be to have CI servers for dialects other than just SQL server ... but I also recognise the logistical pain in setting these up (and specifying which tests should be ignored etc).