2nd Level Caching Expected Behavior

Carlos Mendes

Apr 5, 2011, 3:58:32 PM4/5/11
to nhc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

What's the expected behavior if we are using a 2nd Level Caching Provider (eg. Velocity Provider - AppFabric Caching) and the Cache goes down?

Will NHibernate continue to serve the requests ignoring the caching configuration?

Ayende Rahien

Apr 6, 2011, 3:06:31 AM4/6/11
to nhc...@googlegroups.com, Carlos Mendes
It blows up, most frequently.
The major problem in trying to silently recover from this is that just accessing the cache to figure out that it is down is a very expensive operation.
It is better to error quickly than try to recover.

Carlos Mendes

Apr 6, 2011, 10:03:52 AM4/6/11
to nhc...@googlegroups.com, Carlos Mendes
Thank you Ayende.

I've tested it today with the NH Redis provider if the cache goes down (I stopped the cache server) the provider throws exceptions and the application stops.

I was expecting NHibernate to ignore the cache configuration and serve the requests from the Database.

Ayende Rahien

Apr 6, 2011, 10:04:41 AM4/6/11
to nhc...@googlegroups.com, Carlos Mendes
See my earlier post on why this is actually NOT desriable.

Carlos Mendes

Apr 6, 2011, 10:15:26 AM4/6/11
to nhc...@googlegroups.com, Carlos Mendes
Yes I got it.

I'm just wondering how to proceed since Microsoft's App Fabric High Availability mode only runs on Windows 2008 Enterprise which is kind of expensive.

I'll look into Redis (with Master - Slave nodes) and Memcached to understand if I can get high availability without paying through the nose.

Thanks again